Width of shelf in relation to cabinet width

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
For removeable shelves I mean.

How much of a gap should there be on either side to allow the shelf to be easily removed but at the same time not rattle around. I tend to leave about 1 to 1.5mm either side so that the shelf doesn't have to be tipped up so far that the shelf above/ below has to be removed as well.

Cheers

Tim

I tend to make them 1.0mm smaller overall if its MFC a little more if the units are going to be painted just to make sure the paint does not get marked.

If the shelf has a downstand at the front it may need more as the diagonal distance can be larger than the width between uprights particularly on short shelves.

I think most people tend to set the shelves where they want them and hardly alter the positions after the initial setting out.

Jason

i think tim it also depends upon the shelf support.
if you use the brass ones, then you need more room because of the
upstand before the spade.
the other thing is do the doors or the face frame overhang??

jason is right however, most people do tend to find the best position,
and then leave them so what is aesthetic is also useful. :roll:

paul :wink:

Thanks guys.

The shelves are 18mm but will have a 25mm lip. I think I'll experiment a bit but probably go for 2mm overall. There is a faceframe as well with a small lip on either side too.

I agree about the whole shelf moving thing and try where possible to dissuade folk from lots of shelf holes. Failed in this case! 5,500 of the damned things.

Senior, I don't understand about your MFC sizing though - isn't edging about 1mm? Therefore assuming 2mm off and adding 2mm in edging is going to be a bit snug? But its late and its been a long day so I may just have misunderstood.

Cheers

Tim

I allow 0.5mm for mfc edging, 0.75 for veneers. but it depends on what you buy, it will always tell you on the product what thickness it is.

Back