Wich type of wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_belgium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on making a gate for my driveway (looks like this one http://www.collstrop.be/images/poorten_puerto_w600.jpg ), it's gonna be roughly 5 metres long and 1.4 metres high (about 16feet by 3,2 feet).

Wich type of wood should I use for this gate? My main concern isn't strength since the gate will be a sliding gate wich will roll on a rail supported by 3 wheels, it will not have to deal with the stresses that a free swinging hinged gate has to. But my main concern is deformation due to temperature changes and moisture. My local wood supplier suggested using afselia (i hope this is the correct english word for it), because according to him it stays straight no matter what temperature or humidity changes, but it costs about 1600 euros per m³ wich seems pricy to me (but then again i know nothing about wood prices). So what do you suggest and if possible could you give me an idea of the price?

Thanks a lot for your time, Christof!

Hi Chris_belgium, welcome to the forum
As for the gate I think oak would good but some one that has done in this will
be a long soon :)

Hi Christof

Afzelia (UK spelling) is a bit expensive. Oak is a lower cost option and very durable, but iroko is probably a better way to go as it is extremely durable and relatively inexpensive against oak. 3in (75mm) iroko comes in at around £760 to £980/cubic metre (1180 to 1430 Euros) + BTW. This is cheaper than the best softwood option, pitch pine, and markedly cheaper than the California redwood (sequoia) option.

Tot ziens!

Scrit

Back