Branch/stick wood garden gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDRiley

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I've had an enquiry about making a fairly traditional garden gate but which would incorporate some stick or branch wood elements - broadly along the lines of the photo attached below.

My instinct would be to make the structural members from oak (but would be open to other suggestions). My initial idea is to use a veritas tenon cutter (or similar) to put round tenons on the stick wood which would slot into corresponding holes in the frame. I would be intersted in people's views on this and how to incorporate the stick wood elements. In particular:

1: What wood would you use and where would you get it?
2: Bark on or off?
3: Would you use it green or seasoned? I'm thinking green would be easier to work and to manipulate into the frame but may split once dry in an unacceptable way and/or twist the frame as it dries).
4: How would you ensure reasonable durability of the stick wood? (Perhaps soaking it in wood preserver before incorporating it into the gate?)
5: Any thoughts on designing the frame in such a way that the stick wood could be replaced in future if (when) it degrades more quickly than the frame?

Many thanks

1609174711051.png

Interesting design there. The obvious sticks would be hazel or willow but I don't think you would get the look that you want.

Leave the bark on and I'd use hazel over willow. Think a hardener might help protect the hazel but haven't tried it myself.

I'd warn the customer that the hazel won't last as long as the gate will to avoid disappointment.

Back