Why's the buisness gone bust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studders":2gebcye6 said:
Can't say I'm RR's biggest fan, that aside, I find these 'Ooooh, Witch Hunt... I'll join' type postings rather pathetic.

Don't like his posts? Skim them when you see them. Not too hard is it?

All those that say he's a big headed know nothing mouthy twit will have to apologise when he posts the pictures of his projects.

studders":lmsldots said:
Can't say I'm RR's biggest fan, that aside, I find these 'Ooooh, Witch Hunt... I'll join' type postings rather pathetic.

Don't like his posts? Skim them when you see them. Not too hard is it?

It is not to hard is it Mr S? and we do not even need an ignore button to do it.

Calm done guys, the forum has been going relatively good lately. If you do not like what a member says then just pass over his posts.

Cheers

Mike

how can you skim his posts, i might as well avoid the whole site, he seems very knowledgeable on all subjects :lol:. i have never said anything about his work. cant remember seeing much of it. i find alot of his post are unhelpful, when someone kindly suggest an idea, guess what RR turns up and says its cr@p etc. u only need to see RR's idea of a (lethal) featherboard to see the extent of his knowledge.

adidat":1m1j37he said:
how can you skim his posts......

Easy. You scroll down, see the next post is by someone you don't want to read, and keep scrolling 'til you get to a post you do want to read.

The most helpful one was where he told DW that his friend had been almost blinded by his cataracts ops when DW is just about to go for his own. Lovely!

I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. He just seems like an average Scouser to me.

Liverpool is inhabited by the descendants of the few Irish immigrants who were just too dumb and lazy to keep walking when they got off the boat.

:lol:

It's alright for you lot - but they're only 35 miles away from here! :shock:

BradNaylor":13bg2fm4 said:
I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. He just seems like an average Scouser to me.

Liverpool is inhabited by the descendants of the few Irish immigrants who were just too dumb and lazy to keep walking when they got off the boat.

:lol:

It's alright for you lot - but they're only 35 miles away from here! :shock:
My thoughts exactly Brad, and I'm even closer than you now! :shock:

t8hants":3b3a4ms4 said:
Most small fabrication firms do small cash sales as a favour to the local community.

You can't run that type of business on small stock sales. My boss is out getting the large orders, I and two others are making the said orders, two others are installing the finished items.

A board meeting, not on my planet, but that boss was probably getting the order that will keep the firm working for the next few weeks.

One day we may well go out of business, but it won't be because of the lack of small stock sales.

Gareth

back on subject - I understand that the boss is probably out a lot, and that the boss would want to be the only one pricing large orders - but if the small cash sales are basically a favour to the local comunity could he not leave a rough price list (per ft, metre or whatever) and then allow other staff to price those orders based on his guidelines

small cash sales may not be important but the general image of the company is, and you never know when the small cash sale might be the mate, brother in law, husband or whatever of a person who might place a major order if he hears good things about the company - or might take it elsewhere if he hears bad.

For example there is builders merchant locally that was rude to my mate Alan's sister in law when she dropped in to buy a few bags of sand to build a patio - she asked what the difference was between sharp and soft sand, and was told they didnt have time to answer pineappling silly questions.....and lost out on about £20k (or more) per year of buisness from Alan (who runs a building company) as a result.

Moose, sorry to hear that, there's no excuse.

This past couple of weeks I have been fitting a new kitchen at home with my wife doing the running about. On the first occasion I asked her to go to our local builders' merchants she was somewhat reluctant (it's a man's place). but came back happy as Larry. The young lad who served her couldn't have been more patient or helpful. I have also met him (I am not a tradesman so need a little hand holding at times), would guess he is still in his teens and would congratulate whoever was responsible for his training. This lad is an asset to them so a big thumbs up to my local BM.

On the other hand there is a kitchen showroom in Worcester that will never see me again.

Roger

Not sure how wise 'naming and shaming' is on an open forum so I'll keep my council. Unfortunately the other showroom and plumbers' merchant over the road from it has, 'closed till further notice' on the door; sad times.

John

BSM wrote,

For example there is builders merchant locally that was rude to my mate Alan's sister in law when she dropped in to buy a few bags of sand to build a patio - she asked what the difference was between sharp and soft sand, and was told they didnt have time to answer pineappling silly questions.....and lost out on about £20k (or more) per year of buisness from Alan (who runs a building company) as a result.

Yes but do they know that they have lost £20k of business a year? It's no good unless you actually rub their noses in it :lol:

If I was Alan I would have brought his sister-in-law along to the company in question, got her to quitely point the blokes out, and then grabbed a bag each of sharp and soft sand and taken then into the offices. When I found the manager I would have asked him what the difference between the 2 were, and after he had finshed telling me I would have said "No, in this case the difference is £20,000" and pointing to the idiots, "Just ask those"

JWLeaper wrote

Roger

Not sure how wise 'naming and shaming' is on an open forum so I'll keep my council. Unfortunately the other showroom and plumbers' merchant over the road from it has, 'closed till further notice' on the door; sad times.

John

But John that is one of the good things about the forum, we save each other money by stearing clear of bad companies or products :wink:

Of course you are quite within your rights to tell us their name or not, as the case maybe.

Cheers

Mike

back on subject - I understand that the boss is probably out a lot, and that the boss would want to be the only one pricing large orders - but if the small cash sales are basically a favour to the local community could he not leave a rough price list (per ft, metre or whatever) and then allow other staff to price those orders based on his guidelines

This was the standard practice up until prices started rising dramatically. With no office staff, someone from production has to ring the suppliers to find out what the prices have been doing, as we don't get their invoice until about 14 days after purchase. Even then the part-time book-keeper doesn't want us riffling about in her paperwork trying to find the latest price. Yes it's inefficient possibly laughable, but it is the reality of a small firm.

G

Even simpler.......If a worker at the suppliers can't give a price for tuppence worth of scrap steel,
then the firm doesn't deserve the (cash sale :roll: ) business.
Go some were else.

Take all the details and say you'll get back to the caller with a price. Simple

And there you are back where you started with Mr Grumpy who couldn't have his price on demand.

Then the customer says its too expensive after the phone call, or two other walk in customers have turned up also wanting prices and stock cut. Or an Indian call centre wants to sell me insurance, fuel, phones, or speak to the IT manager (yes I am holding the pocket calculator), and so on goes the day of endless amusement and interest.

Hours have been spent, but I haven't been working on the job I am supposed to be making, and no we can't afford an office wallah, that's supposed to be the bosses job, but he's out remember.

G

RussianRouter":1hty85li said:
Is it no wonder why some buisnesses go to the wal its because of poor stratedgy and managment.

Just made a phone call to a small welding firm for a quote on some 3mm box section milde steel tubing.

Me: could you give me a quote and pricing of 3x30x60mm box section tubing.

Him:Sorry but the manager is away till monday and I don't have the means to give you a pricing quote.

Well duh,just hope your job is safe in the future.

Another firm the sales rep actually asked if I could ring back in half an hour as they were at a meeting...bladdy hell thats no way to run a buisness.

Sheeeesh!

Did you ever consider that one sale of a of length of 1"1/4 box wasn't a real money maker for them? I've been on both sides of the counter, and I prefer this side.

Back