Why is this Shoulder plane worth so much?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't pay that price for it. I have a couple of Clifton shoulder planes, which are a similar style, and they are streets ahead of the old Records.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've often wondered this; it's not the first time I've seen Record shoulder planes go for what seems like a disproportionately high price, they don't seem particularly rare...

El.

Damn! I passed a few of those up at the bootfair a couple of weeks ago for £10 each.

I don't know why either!

I think this is a collector thing.

One line I draw about collecting planes is that in my collection (ok I admit it), each plane must be able to perform at the top of the range for the price...

I see this as a number in a book.....

Jim

I think a bit of a myth has developed that all old Stanley and Record planes were good and, as a result, they tend to go for quite high prices on ebay. I have a Record #077 bull nose shoulder plane that I bought in 1970 and I've never thought much of it. In more recent times I bought these Cliftons (pictures borrowed from Matthew's site)

Clifton3110.jpg

Clifton410.jpg

Comparing the three planes, the Record is quite crudely made. By comparison, the engineering on the Cliftons is superb. In use there is also a significant difference in performance. Doubt if I'll bother using the Record again - I've flattened the sole and got it working as well as I can but it simply does not compare with the Cliftons.

Paul

Bloody hell fire, how much! Might polish mine up

I'm with Paul, they're nice enough little planes and a good light weight and small size, but I do find myself reaching for my Clifton 3110 most times instead as it's different class - and I got it for about the same price as that Record.

The other problem I have with my 41 is that the blade does not like oak end grain and loses the edge very quickly - that's loses as in chips. Might be the blade though and I have a replacement on standby

Blimey, that Record went for £131-57 :shock: :shock: Amazing what some people will pay for stuff that's not very good. For a few pounds more the buyer could have bought a really good plane.........

Paul

I reckon it went to the US.

I sold a Stanley 92 several years ago. At the time you could buy them for £68 new. Mine was only a few years old. A couple of american bidders got the hots for it and it sold for £110.

No accounting for some peeps.

Cheers

Karl

Hi

This model is a little less common than the larger Record 42 but examples does come up fairly frequently. Old Tools sold one for 160; but that was unusual.

On E-bay they more commonly go for half that in very good condition even with the original box. This one seems to have sold for way above the market price for reasons that I cannot fathom.

Pretty in the display cabinet for the collector but otherwise :?

Richard

Mick,

Take a look at Stanley equivalents Nos 92 & 93 which go for much less (can be below 40 for a good example). There are some good reviews on this site although the nose section is vunerable if dropped so check casting is OK. Older versions are generally preferred by members.

They come up about once a week but none are listed on e-bay at present. There are new Stanley 93s which are said to be poorly finished.

Regards
Richard

Hi,

Thats a silly price ofr an ex-school plane thet has been dropped a million times.

Pete

i have spent the last 4 months doing 2/3 car boot sales a week just looking for a shoulder plane as i cannot afford to buy one new or off ebay due to the high prices, :cry:

with the way my luck goes i am expecting to find one with the next 20 years or so. (we can but hope) :lol: oh well at least it gives me some exercise and gets me a way from the wife for a few hours.

hunggaur":94mzuif9 said:
i have spent the last 4 months doing 2/3 car boot sales a week just looking for a shoulder plane as i cannot afford to buy one new or off ebay due to the high prices, :cry:

with the way my luck goes i am expecting to find one with the next 20 years or so. (we can but hope) :lol: oh well at least it gives me some exercise and gets me a way from the wife for a few hours.

They're very rare at car boots (and even tool dealers).

I've seen them rarely at car boots, and always at higher prices than I want to pay.

BugBear

hunggaur":1dwh6pjr said:

In 15 years of doing car boot sales I have only ever seen the skeleton of one! :D

I'll keep me eyes out for you...

jimi43":2gdda3ul said:
hunggaur":2gdda3ul said:

In 15 years of doing car boot sales I have only ever seen the skeleton of one! :D

I'll keep me eyes out for you...

many thanks, happy hunting

Never seen one outside a dealer's until recently, when the local rag's classifieds has had someone trying to shift a Cliffie 420 for £110. I ended up biting the bullet on a Record 073 from Bristol Design back in the days when I could still count my planes without having to take off my socks. Another option is to make your own; trying that is what lead me to willingly bite said bullet... :lol:

Back