Who would buy a "Pentz" style Cyclone for £395

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy at cyclone at £395?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if 300 mm diameter size (100mm inlet and outlet)

• May be but I am not willing to commit at this stage

• Nope

• Total voters
ivan":3pwnkdgv said:
If I want to actually get in the workshop alongside the extractor I'd need to use a pleated filter similar to Barry's, and either clean it often, and probably replace it regularly as it gradually clogs up, or protect it with a cyclone to remove most of the dust load first.T.

Ivan I am getting no visible dust going to the filter. Even if I use the palm of my hand and bang the filter. The dust and chips are remaining in the cyclone - far better than I ever thought. I am using a total of 40m2 with the two filters and totally agree with your comments on bags

Scrit the DIY extractors send too much of the dust to the top bag. This might be different with the commercial units but I found with my 3HP 4 bagger that the design was not ideal for separating the dust even if it was not fine. This excess of dust causes the bag to under perform and I suspect causes problems with the air flow
Barry

My setup has the impeller housing/motor at the top (screwed to wall next to ceiling) with felt sock hanging down, and bin at the bottom. The extractor feeds what is more or less a "felt walled drop box" with bin under. regards, to all, Ivan

Barry Burgess":2yypk7mg said:
Scrit the DIY extractors send too much of the dust to the top bag. This might be different with the commercial units but I found with my 3HP 4 bagger that the design was not ideal for separating the dust even if it was not fine. This excess of dust causes the bag to under perform and I suspect causes problems with the air flow
Barry
Barry

The commercial ones are a bit better, but not a lot, possibly because they are of grweater diameter. I've found that lengthening the sock has a marked effect on performance, though it's not as good as going to a proper cyclone and pleated filter. The other technique used in industry is to have a plenum chamber below an envelope filter with a drop box beneath where the air velocity drops by a huge amount in the plenum. This is the principle used by the DCE Unimaster, etc. and the fan, a full aerofoil impeller draws upwards through the filter envelope.

Scrit

Scrit I tried all kinds of dust buckets before the extractor but they either collected nothing, if they were small and if too large caused a big drop in suction. If I had my time over on this project I would have used a airfoil but was worried how much dust would get into the airfoil but I should not have worried with the existing cyclone.
Barry

With all the talk of cyclones lately I seen an add for this in the Aug/Sept issue of American Woodworker. Just wondering what you all thought of it as I'm quite interested (don't think I'd be up to making my own). My new workshop is in the process of been built at the moment and I'd really like to nail the DC once and for all.
Neil

Depends shipping costs / import duty etc. I suppose. But that aside, considering this thread is about a cyclone on it's own for £395 then £500 odd for the whole shooting match seems like a very good option. Certainly it looks like the mutts nuts, what with that sexy gloss black finishand all. I reckon if I had the space and the cash it'd be pretty high on the shortlist.

Mark

Warning - with anything from the US make sure its suitable for 50Hz not 60Hz

The US is all 60Hz and if you run one of their motors over here there will be that acrid smell of burning and then and if you are lucky a bang as the motor says I DO NOT LIKE THIS - by by

With the US versions its better to buy with the impellor and without the motor.
This is a better option as its made of perspex and the shipping is lower
ClearVue http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm

Even with this lighter version the shipping costs plus VAT plus import duty double the price. Ed at ClearVue ships to Australia and will supply bushes to suit your motor
Barry

Oddly but I have just seen this, Barry the bag filters to 1 micron as stated by tony and is a 'ADE1100FFB' retails for about £36. It does not adversly affect the performance, I have the same extractor as Tony. I check with a manometer which I use to monitor the extraction booths at work.

I agree with tony that the cyclone is not the only way to go and that it is a very limited argument to say so. A combination of methods is possibly the best method.

Bean..the price has gone up to £43...still a good deal.

Watching the videos on the ClearVue Cyclone site...especially the small shop vac cyclone, you do have to give some very serious thought to cyclones...very impressive demonstration.

Bean":1xs7of98 said:
Oddly but I have just seen this, Barry the bag filters to 1 micron as stated by tony and is a 'ADE1100FFB' retails for about £36. It does not adversly affect the performance, I have the same extractor as Tony. I check with a manometer which I use to monitor the extraction booths at work.

I agree with tony that the cyclone is not the only way to go and that it is a very limited argument to say so. A combination of methods is possibly the best method.

Interesting to note that Axminster only recommend this for Chippings and Sawdust - not for anding dust or MDF dust (its rated at perfomrance level 2)

So even though they say its 1Micro - they still do not recommend for filting fine dust

Francis

Interesting to note that Axminster only recommend this for Chippings and Sawdust - not for anding dust or MDF dust (its rated at perfomrance level 2)

So even though they say its 1Micro - they still do not recommend for filting fine dust

Dont get misled by marketing information, that tries to make you buy equipment you do not need

Dont get misled by marketing information, that tries to make you buy equipment you do not need

I am not misled !!

I have a Fercell extractor with a 1 Micro bag - its one of the best DUST PUMPS I know considering I push everything from thick wood turings through to 1200grit sanding dust - don't bother with the Mirror test - just look at the shelves, bottles etc etc

The quantity of very fine dust which gets spewed around the workshop by any of these bag collectors is just un-real (and you would be kidding yourself if your believe anything different). A bag filter will NOT keep delivering the required CFM to pick up ALL dust while providing 1 micron filtrations (assuming you are creating a range of dust types including fine dust such as sanding etc) without very regular maintenance (like burning the filter bag and buying a new one).

My cyclone is due shorting - one is being built as a prototype. It will have 40sqM (as opposed to a classic bag filter of about 1.8sqM) of filtration (similar to Barry's filter stack) The cyclone will remove between 90% and 97% by weight of all the material it is passed leaving the filters to do the rest. I will expect to see no chips or chuncks of sawdust in the filters at all.

I just cannot wait - Photo available when it arrives.

neilc":3n3wf7a3 said:
With all the talk of cyclones lately I seen an add for this in the Aug/Sept issue of American Woodworker. Just wondering what you all thought of it as I'm quite interested (don't think I'd be up to making my own). My new workshop is in the process of been built at the moment and I'd really like to nail the DC once and for all.
Neil
If it's $845USP you'll be paying a similar amount in GBP (or €1,250 odd) when it reaches your door after shipping, import dut and Vat. Not too mention the Hz problem. Without a motor would be ideal but as they are totally manufactured in Taiwan it's unlikely.
In any case what's the chances of something as delicate (shipping wise) arriving without dents or other damage?
There was talk at some stage of Axminster starting to carry a cyclone (which could well be a repaint job of the PSI unit) sometime next year but it's was only rumour. Who knows?

There was talk at some stage of Axminster starting to carry a cyclone (which could well be a repaint job of the PSI unit) sometime next year but it's was only rumour. Who knows?

Spoke with Axminster recently - the are still looking into it - there problems is finding a price that people are prepared for a unit which delivers the goods - they recently sold a unit on eBAY for £250 which was a trial model they had bought - my issue with it was it was only a 4in inlet

fclauson":2klxi6ad said:
don't bother with the Mirror test - just look at the shelves, bottles etc etc

A bit confused now.

How do you know that the dust hasn't been thrown into the air by your saw blade/router cutter/planer blades/thicknesser ????

Back