Who would buy a "Pentz" style Cyclone for £395

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy at cyclone at £395?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if 300 mm diameter size (100mm inlet and outlet)

• May be but I am not willing to commit at this stage

• Nope

• Total voters
Barry,

Look whats for sale on eBay?
link

fclauson, are you testing the water, because IMHO it would have been nice to let those of us who said that we maybe interested in buying one of these cyclone's that you were putting one of them on ebay and that we maybe able to get one for £220.

Cheers

Mike

I popped into a "rivals" workshop the otherday. He has just had a Felder extractor installed. I noticed it was mainly run in 6" and larger pipework - with 4" only being near the ends of the runs.

Now his isn't a large shop. I would say a bit bigger than a double garage.
He also only has a couple of machine, nothing really big, (though the swine has a lovely Felder table saw!).

Felder had insisted that 6" was now the normal recommeded size for the main ducting as opposed to 4". They had informed him this was due to the volume of air being pulled, not the pressure behind it. The greater the volumn of air, the more finer dust would be collected and more efficient his system would be.
Just my tuppence worth :wink:

mark

Hmmm. My Felder stuff has 5" ports. :?

Wonder if anybody can answer this? If you have a 5" piece of pipe in a 6" run, does the pipe effectively become as restrictive as if it was all 5"?

I'll admit I don't really understand static pressure etc with regards to dust extraction, but can't for the life of me think why you can't get just as much air through a 5" pipe than a 6" simply by sucking a bit harder so to speak.

If this is a fairly complex answer then one should be warned that complexity isn't my strongest suit. :oops:

Bob,

There is friction between the air and the pipe, this has less effect at lower speeds, thats why the big pipe is better.

Bob I have changed the ports on my table saw and router - they started out as 1 1 1/4" to 4". It takes some work with PVC piping and a heat gun as I am untried at welding. I am sure its possible to increase your 5" port but if your extraction system is working it might not be needed?? It depends on your airflow rates.
Barry

Another quick one, my Felder AF-10 dust extractor moves 1500m3/h through a 5" port. This is about 880 CFM.

Now I know it doesn't have a cyclone, just the normal dust shute type inlet, but it has a very short hose, about 10ft of 5" pipe which connects to each machine.

Does Pentz say that this will definitely be inadequate for collecting fine dust at source? (ignoring that the bag of my extractor is then blasting the fine stuff all over the place)

I was thinking of situating the extractor outside and maybe lengthening the hose to stretch around the workshop,thus eliminating the problem with the bag?

Would maybe 20ft of hose be a problem? Or 30ft?

Bob,

These are my thoughs not from Bill Pentz web site.

The longer pipe will have an effect, but to minimise it I would recommend you put a duct system in that has smooth bore pipes. Connecting up long runs of flexible hose should be avoided as the air flow is disrupted by the ridges in the hose.
Use 45° Y joints not T joints and add a 45° elbow to complete the 90° drop to the machine, if you need a 90° use a big radius or two 45°'s as any sudden change in direction will cause dust to be dropped in the pipe.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info. I don'treally have any choice but to use flexible pipe as my machines aren't fixed in situ.

I have the Felder combination CF731 and it gets rolled all over the place to work around what I have on the go at any given time and to allow the workpieces to go throught the garage doors.

The only other big machine I have is a felder bandsaw FB400 on wheels which also moves about the place.

There is no way I could install a series of pipes unfortunately :-(

cheers

Bob rather move the extractor as you do your other equipment and use as short a piece of flexible as possible. If your extractor takes 6" use that with a conical reducer from 6" to 5" at the machine.

Barry Burgess":26v5z5ok said:
Bob rather move the extractor as you do your other equipment and use as short a piece of flexible as possible. If your extractor takes 6" use that with a conical reducer from 6" to 5" at the machine.

Thats what I do at the minute, but even with the 1 micron felt bag from Felder it still blows dust all over the shop. When the sunlight shines through the window at the right angle you can visibly see the cloud from it. All the shelves have a fine film of dust on them too. Moving the extractor outside would help that problem, but I fear that the length of flexi pipe I would need will prevent me collecting the fine dust at source as Pentz suggests. Its a bit of a catch 22 really. :-(

Bob,

How about running a length of duct along the shop with a number of take offs, each with a blast gate. Then have a length of flexible that you link from the machine to the closest gate. That would allow the dust to be dumped in the out house.

Try replacing the bag with a .5 micro filter??
Like this - I did it early on
ExtractorwithFilters.JPG

DaveL":shoni8w7 said:
Bob,

How about running a length of duct along the shop with a number of take offs, each with a blast gate. Then have a length of flexible that you link from the machine to the closest gate. That would allow the dust to be dumped in the out house.

If you saw my workshop you would see that it would be quite difficult. I have units running along three walls with the other wall having two grage doors in it. :-(

I wish I had thought about the extraction more when I installed it, but I had the idea that i would just trail my extractor about with me, but as I've said, its creating way too much dust.

Back