Who Was William Fairham?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolemera

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the reprints of a number of Evans Bros Woodworker Series titles by William Fairham (edited by J. Brough). Other than a brief note in the preface of one of the books, I can find no other information on Fairham.

If anyone knows of who is was, birth/death dates, location, places of work, etc. I would appreciate a note. I'ld like to add a preface to the books regarding the author.

I've already contacted Evans Bros. Publishers. They have no information on their early titles as all records were lost during one of the many corporate changes. They also have no problem in my reprinting these early titles.

Thanks
Gary

The book by WF seems to have been published in 1920, so on the basis that he was probably in the UK in 1911 I had a look at the 1911 census.

There are only a few entries for that name - all originating in Yorkshire apart from one, born in Lancashire.
Household FAIRHAM, William 1875 36 M Leicester Leicestershire
Household FAIRHAM, William 1884 27 M Barnsley Yorkshire (West riding)
Household FAIRHAM, William 1885 26 M Doncaster Yorkshire (West riding)
Institution FAIRHAM, William 1889 22 ? Overseas military
Household FAIRHAM, William Edgar 1863 48 M Barnsley Yorkshire (West riding)
Household FAIRHAM, William Her 1911 0 M Barnsley Yorkshire (West riding)

Apart from the Leicestershire bloke who was a commercial traveler born in Rochdale Lancashire, the rest seem to have been Yorkshire miners. I could find no mention of any kind of woodworker.

At a guess, he is one of these with a woodworking hobby.

I was just doing the same using the 1901 census and a general search (when will Ancestry.co.uk get 1911?)

My results were a waste cotton trader (probably Chris' commercial traveller) and various general labourers all North of the country.

One youngster down as WGB Fairham too from Doncaster. This would have meant he was in his 30's if he grew up to be your William Fairham writing in 1920's. He is only down as Scholar in the census as he is about age 12.

In the preface to Woodwork Tools, Brough names Fairham as the author and as an "Instructor in Technical Schools" for many years as well as many years of experience in "practical woodwork", aka, he worked wood for a living.

And that is the extent of my limited knowledge.

Gary

PS: if anyone has any copies of The Woodworker magazine from the early 1900's, there may be a note about Fairham buried deep within.

Latest posts

Back