Best beginners woodworking book.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a copy of Chris Tribe's book 'Complete Woodworking', and I thought I would give it a brief review here, as I think it is a very accomplished work and an ideal primer for any woodworking novices.

As we know well here, most recent woodworking books, You tube tutoring and on line articles tend to be written by North American's, which is fine, but there are difficulties with this for many beginners, especially on this side of the Atlantic. Not least the fact that many of the techniques and projects shown rely very heavily on large stationary machines in well appointed shops, often with safety precautions either lacking or disregarded completely. This book is fills the need for a thorough, logical and skilfully written primer for beginning woodworkers, or those who have had a stab at home DIY, and want to refine their skills. It is aimed at those who wish to do fine work, likely those looking for the gateway into furniture making, and the necessary precise workmanship that is required.

In this book, Chris has managed to get in enough salient information for a beginner woodworker to be able to systemically and logically progress from understanding how tools work and their correct preparation, through marking and making the most useful sort of joinery, to making some rather smart projects. He does this without being overly prescriptive, or pedantic, or for that matter, overly long winded. However, he doesn't skip over any detail that might leave a novice scratching their heads at an impasse. In this regard, the clinic sections in the book will help greatly with the reader overcoming pitfalls and troubleshooting mistakes.

Chapters of note: the one on handplane fettling is particularly well done, I think. As seasoned woodworkers know, it is very easy to buy a plane, waft it over a bit of wood and have it fail miserably to achieve the results. This, I think, is one of the great stumbling blocks for beginners, and often the turn off point in them continuing with the craft. Without getting into silly tool preparation, Chris manages to write a complete set of instructions that, if followed, will get any new woodworker making shavings with conviction.

The section on the, router is equally well thought out and presented. Chris writes about this versatile but potentially frightening tool that will dispel any confusion the reader might have as to its safe use. There is instruction on some useful jigs and fixtures to help the beginner conquer the router and achieve accurate and consistent results.

There are chapters on the most useful hand tools and power tools that should be considered for a successful maker, with no expensive and seldom used 'vanity' tools, or tools with very specific uses. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is the introduction to the domino and biscuit jointers, which I might have omitted, though these chapters do not overwhelm the book. I can understand why a modern woodworking manual might have them included. Chris has certainly packed an awful lot in!

I won't go on writing about every aspect of the book, as it would be too long winded, but I have not seen a more complete, modern, woodworking manual, that would actually get an aspiring woodworker to make stuff, without the need for other texts. In this regard, I would consider this book as a potential woodworking classic and I would recommend any woodworker early in their endeavours to have a good look at 'Complete Woodworking' by Chris Tribe.

Happy making,

Mike.

I was gifted the book for Xmas and have only found the time to read thoroughly the chapter on routers (I needed a crash course for work) but have had a quick flick through the rest of the book and agree it looks to be an excellent resource.

Hello,

I said above that I couldn't think of another modern book for beginner woodworker that was as complete as Chris Tribe's. My favorite recommendation previously would have been 'complete woodworkers companion' by Roger Holmes. Published about 20 years ago and long out of print. If any novice interested in furniture making is looking for good, solid instructional book, they wouldn't do much better than finding a used copy. Roger is American, but worked with Alan Peter's at some time in the 70's so is well trained and really quite British in his methods. A fine book to be had as well as Chris's, though fails slightly in comparison as there is more reliance on stationary machinery, and there is no real, but necessary tool preparation discussed above a cursery mention of sharpening. The projects are fabulous, but perhaps more ambitious than a starting woodworker would be happy to tackle. There are few shop made accessories and jigs included either, which Chris's book covers extremely comprehensivly. Perhaps a book for someone who is a fair bit along with Chris Tribe's book and wants to stretch themselves. A book that is solid on tequnique, all the same.

Mike.

Back