Who still uses a safety razor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
Chatting with a group of mates the other day I happened to mention my preferred method of shaving was with a safety razor.
This was met with a mixture of incredulity and horror, with the most sensible reply being "Can you still get the blades".
My explanation that in my opinion nothing can beat the pleasure of a warm lather applied by a brush, and then taken off by a hot razor with a keen blade, fell on deaf ears.
Yes when in a rush I will use a plastic fantastic disposable twin blade, and squirt canned foam, but if time allows its the safety every time.

So in the one place where there should be students of of a fine edge, how many forumites use a safety?
Is there anybody using a self strop Rolls razor, or have you mastered a day marked set of cut-throats, do tell, I can't be alone!

i use one, although it was a discovery of a few years ago, rather than "still" using one from their heyday.

I have not found an alternative that shaves as closely. I do use it with canned foam, and japanese feather blades (blades from a recommendation on here)

I am a regular cut throat razor user, been using one for years. I also have a few double edge safety razors, which I think are superb, and are far better than any, triple, quadruple or other multi blade razor.

I own a Rolls razor, but I find it too fiddly the good old safety razor is much easier. You can buy double edge blade very cheaply too. I have over the years used a lot of different shaving soaps, but Poraso is my personal favourite

I have an Edwin Jagger but no longer use it. Afraid it resulted in too many nicks. Now I use one of the plethora of multi blade razors. A lot less nicks but I don't think they cut as close as a safety razor, despite all the blades.

Put all razors down 10 years ago, not look back since. Luckily the wife does not like me clean shaven.

Yes I use a DE blade - generally Personna with a Gillette Slimboy adjustable I bought in the 60's. And a silver tip badger.
Big choice of blades and soaps readily available.
Much much cheaper than the multi-blade ones.

Rod

Yep, me too, a few of the razors to choose from depending on mood, they all perform slightly differently, the favourite is probably the Gillette Farboy from 1957, a Futur, and a Megress.

I've narrowed down the blades after extensive testing to Shark and Personna Platinum that suit my skin and stubble, and the razors I use.

Soaps and creams vary too although Tabac is one of the best performers I find, as is GFT coconut cream and Cella.

Blades are cheap as chips, will save a fortune compared to the modern multi blade types, and the results after a bit of practice are at least as good, usually better for most people. The technique matters more though than the "press and plough" approach with the multi blade cartridges, needing a light touch and care with the angle of presentation of the blade and direction of beard growth, but it becomes second nature after a while and is a very enjoyable routine, well worth making ten minutes or so for in your morning routine :)

Cheers, Paul

I've used all types (even electric) over 60 years of shaving but now I just use whatever is Gillette's latest. :)

I use a double-edge safety razor by Muhle; the rose gold with with Wilkinson blades. I do use a plastic razor if I run out of blades. I find it matters not what razor you use as long as it's sharp. I also adopted a routine of lathering up three times; shaving downwards, sideways and upwards. Since adopting that routine I get the best shave I ever have, and I can go two days between shaves, and still not upset SWIMBO with the furze! :mrgreen:

When I first started shaving about 40 or so years ago, my father gave me a safety razor. Nothing fancy, just a bog standard one from (I suspect) somewhere like Boots.

I still use it. Every day. One of these days I'll treat myself to a decent new one.

Back in my early twenties, I had a flirtation with an electric shaver, but since however hard I tried it only ever seemed to do half a job, I went back to the old safety. Blades are not too much of a problem; got a packet in Sainsbury's the other day, but don't yet know if they match Wilkinson Sword for performance.

Since Boots stopped selling shaving soap blocks, I've tried umpteen oils, foams and other potions. George Trumper do good ones (over the internet); I'm currently using Proraso, which my barber recommended. It's excellent. I've worn out a couple of badger hair brushes; again, no problem finding replacements so far.

Just can't beat the 'clean' feeling of a fresh shave. The occasional inadvertent nick is a downside, but it's a lesser problem that perpetually feeling only half shaved.

Anyone else suffer from 'Five o'clock shadow' ? :lol:

NxOWTyLpZmk.jpg

I'm a Gillette guy. Pretty much whatever their latest and greatest market machine generated razor is where you'll find me. With their shaving gel as well. I would like to go and have a proper shave at a barbers at some point though. That's meant to be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t8hants":1rwclnus said:
So in the one place where there should be students of of a fine edge, how many forumites use a safety?
Is there anybody using a self strop Rolls razor, or have you mastered a day marked set of cut-throats, do tell, I can't be alone!

You know there are entire, active, forums dedicated to straight razor shaving, right?

Mind you, sharpening is quite the topic over there, so be careful!

BugBear

I use a Donovo straight razor and have used it for the last 30 years, picked it up in Sollengen while serving in Germany. Occasionally use a phillips if in a hurry.

I have always used a safety razor and presently use the Gillette twin blade. I hate the 3 or 4 blade ones and wonder how they get under the nose. It was bad enough changing from a single razorblade to the twin model years ago.

I never feel tidy unless I have had a close shave in the morning and a little blood somtimes proves the point, but I hate it when you nick yourself just when you are due to go out meeting people. Never had an open razor shave, but did try and electric years ao and couldnt get on with it. Never as close in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back