who/s tools do you favour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi lads what maker of tools do you prefer
i seem to be going marples mad from planes to saws chisels marking tools the lot am i going mad

The one I admire the most is Stewart Spiers...for his innovation

For old wood planes..Christopher Gabriel

Modern makers...has to be Pedder and Klaus for saws without exception

Liogier for rasps

Philly for woodplanes

Bill Carter and Konrad Sauer for infill planes for differing reasons.

Ashley Iles for chisels and gouges

WARD for anything chisel or iron and old.

How many choices do we have?

Jimi

Not sure I have an absolute fave but any classic western style tool that is well made makes me happy.

Chisels: ashley iles, sorby, ward and foot print
Planes, record, holtey, veritas clifton and spires
Spokeshaves: miller falls, lie nielson, clifton, j.dixon
Wooden planes: Philly, Charles nurse and Norris
Files and rasps: nicolson and same a Jimi.
Saws: japanese and western, knew concept :)
Clamps: bessy
Replacement blades ect, Ashley iles and hock.
Honning guide: eclipse and veritas mk2

I could go on all day. Tho there are other makers I would like but just don't.

TT

For new tools, lie nielsen. I only have a few bits and bobs, mainly secondhand but they just seem to work well. I have a lot of respect for veritas, who I think add some innovation to woodworking. I am happy to buy record and stanley planes but it is nice to have a few LN bits in the workshop.

Being a car boot hound, I have a wide range of makers. I do have a soft spot for Edwd Preston though.

BugBear

For hand tools I like old stuff that was made in England. For portable and battery power tools I have always had good experiences with Makita so tend to consider them first.

Hello,

Having thought a bit about it, and not continuing to be facetious by naming a power tool manufacturer in a hand tool forum ( I do like Bosch though!) I have come up with a few favourites.

I prefer old Record planes to and other sort, though I know the vintage Stanley's are just as good. I do feel Record held on to a higher quality of manufacture a little bit longer though. Hock replacement irons for these and Clifton are both great, and Clifton planes similarly superb, though I don't own any, a good friend of mine has many. My ultimate favourite for new tools has to be Veritas. Thier planes might not apeal to the traditionalist in terms of aesthetics, but they perform pretty much flawlessly and to a very high level. I like their marking gauges and spokeshaves too, and the moving filister is the best. For chisels, I got a few Stubai Spezial BE chisels about 12 years ago and I wish I could get more, but they don't seem to be imported anymore. They are fabulous and much better than many others, having fine lands and edge taking ability second to none, and graduated handles for every size! I have searched for comparable new tools and have not found any as good (without spending 50 quid each for a chisel) though Ashley Iles Mk 2's are promising, I haven't owned them for long enough to really tell. I m not too big a fan of the AI dovetail chisels, though.

I quite like the Pax 1773 (or whatever date it is supposed to represent) dovetail saw, though have used Japanese saws for many years. Find a good rip tooth Dozuki and you will make fast, accurate, dovetails for a lot less money than a new Western saw. I think they look cool, too. Sadly my preferred Dozuki has become expensive now, though I have a spare blade for it, so should see me fine for a very long time.

Mike.

woodbrains":8ovha492 said:
Hello,

.......and not continuing to be facetious by naming a power tool manufacturer in a hand tool forum ( I do like Bosch though!) I have come up with a few favourites.

Mike.

=D> =D> =D>

You beat me to it by a whisker!

Jimi

I've been grasping to find a good answer to this. I have an assortment of old tools, and I like most of them ! Record planes yes. Especially my #5 which my dad gave me when I could scarcely reach the bench. I wish people would stop mentioning WARD and the super quality of their steel quite so loudly though, the ebay prices are high enough already. I also seem to be developing a soft spot for Goldenberg tools; I have a couple of axes and a drawknife from them, and they all seem good to me.

But, my favourite maker is ... me. Not that they are terribly good, well made, special or anything - except that they are made to fit my hands - but there is something special about making something using tools you also made. So far I have a scrub plane, travisher, frame saw, froe, 4 chisels/gouges, marking knife and various scratch stocks and card scrapers. Hopefully more to come !

Edited to add: there are some Stubai chisels at Dictum:
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product ... ce-Set.htm

jimi43":oqb0wo1s said:
The one I admire the most is Stewart Spiers...for his innovation

For old wood planes..Christopher Gabriel

Modern makers...has to be Pedder and Klaus for saws without exception

Liogier for rasps

Philly for woodplanes

Bill Carter and Konrad Sauer for infill planes for differing reasons.

Ashley Iles for chisels and gouges

WARD for anything chisel or iron and old.

How many choices do we have?

Jimi

Sadly the Spiers Workshop/house is now a Bookies, I passed it the other week. Isn't it sad.

David

Sheffield Tony":2bzjw3mc said:
Edited to add: there are some Stubai chisels at Dictum:
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product ... ce-Set.htm

Hello,

I've seen the Stubai chisels at Dictum, the blades are the same, stretch hammered steel as in mine, but look a bit shorter and sadly don't have the graduated hornbeam handles mine have. Good price though for a good set of site chisels. I wonder if Dictum could get the ones I like? They are still listed in the Stubai catalogue. They are really very good.

Mike.

I generally just buy whatever comes along ( as long they don't have plastic handles), at the right price. The only preference I have over one maker instead of another maker of the same tool would be Record rather than Stanley. Which might be a bit odd because most record planes are direct copies of Stanley planes.

I always prefer using other people's tools, I find they need much less work to clean/sharpen at the end of the day :wink:

In all seriousness I genuinely do like to use other people's tools just to see what I like the feel of. I'm not loyal to any particular brand and try to choose on the basis of function, form, fit and value.

My planes are all second-hand Stanleys except my No.4 which is a Record bought for me new in 1954 as a present for passing my 11+ and my 5 1/2 bought as a Christmas present in 1971. I like them all very much. I've often thought it must be nice to own something like a Veritas but quite honestly at my level of woodworking I doubt it would make much difference. My chisels are mostly second-hand Marples which work fine for me. Everything else is a mixture of makes.

John

Latest posts

Back