Who makes one of these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have probably been spoilt by the quality of tools from the likes of Jessem, Veritas and Woodpeckers amongst others that have set the bar high, but a quality tool is one that does the job and not one that is over engineered for the job.

This one shows that item in my original post at 12:05

I am concluding that for precise marking and alignment then run, it may not be that they are not precise but the engineering tolerances are such there is to much variability and so cannot be trusted. For the purpose of a reference then a bigger issue is can they be set and not move, no good if the screw cannot keep the thing set. I think many of these products would not be out of place in that Aldi centre aisle .

I tracked down the rule that rutlands is selling, but without the mark (the listing offers custom marking, of course).

$2 each in quantity plus freight (surface freight would be only a small amount).

I think the middle is gone - in terms of quality, you can get woodpecker's stuff, which is expensive for what it is - first cut by accident into aluminum with a sharp marking knife is a frowner. Or you can get stuff that's $2 in china marked and sold for 5-20 times the actual cost of the item as delivered finished.

There are two retail woodworking stores in my city - both have gone since I started woodworking from being kind of high priced for what they are to offering nothing in the middle except marked up stuff like the rule in this case with the pencil hole.

I got clued into this both by observing anything sort of know good but not premium disappearing from Rockler up the road, and by a sale that a big tool dealer here used to do - once a year, you buy everything you want and they would mark it up 10% over their cost and ship it. The only thing you couldn't know is what the cost would be before you bought.

I bought lumber racks (made overseas) and a bunch of stuff from norton made in the US and mexico. The norton stuff dropped in price an average of about 15%-20%. the lumber racks were 20% of the listed price.

that illuminated exactly why the online sellers no longer want to carry inventory in decent domestic goods. The whole coupon thing that followed ("get 20% off any item!") almost wipes out the entire margin on something made by norton, but on something like these aluminum rules, hardly makes a dent on the margin.

Yes. not quite the same thing, but came up when I did a search.

It looks like it's probably a blanking stainless that is followed up on by finishing, so there's nothing on it that would cost much to make. I've bought maybe 50 or so things from aliexpress - I'd say about 90% of them have been what they say, some much better. And 10% have missed the mark.

Those are probably also on alibaba for about $2 each, but the catch is quantity.

edit - I just looked them up, they're $6-$9 each in an order size ten and then everything after that is negotiated. Probably $2 each if you're willing to get 500 or more.

The listing says "carbon steel" and not stainless. I'd be suspicious of the reference I made in the aliexpress side actually being stainless as it claims, but that's not something I'd have an issue with. Many would. In my comments above, I'd count it being carbon steel but accurate as being "hitting the mark" considering the expectation of accuracy in google translated listings.

Another example would be high speed steel plane irons. I purchased two different brands that claimed to be HSS, figuring none would be. they turned out to be HSS.

Both claimed 61 hardness. One brand was 65.5 (I gave one of the batch to someone and he was curious and had it analyzed for composition and hardness) and the other is no way above 58 hardness as you can practically steel it and roll a burr with it.

The ones that are overhard are close to M2 and just dandy. I use the second one to scrape as a plane iron is nice for that if it's not hard enough to be a good plane iron but the steel is good steel.

How much of the price difference is down to labour cost, some of the more expensive products not made in asia must have higher labour cost when compared to Woodpeckers. Who would expect a $25 rail square to be as good as a $150 one, yes those Aldi shoppers spring to mind but quality will come at a cost.

I have a couple of the all-steel sliding ruler gauges - bought from Banggood. Quality is decent and the vernier scale is accurate. Nips up well, although had to file 0.5 mm off the bottom of the tightening screw as it protruded slightly once fully tightened - not an issue for me at this price (£11 ea. if I recall correctly). Especially work well as a pair with my track saw rail and for now has mitigated the need to buy Benchdogs parallel guides! For small, repeatable “strip” cuts at least.

In addition I bought a couple of these things from Banggood to use with my two parf sticks (effectively steel meter rules) as “storey sticks” as it were. Used with my Benchdogs Precision Triangle, I can make repeatable parallel cuts up to approx. 1150mm (meter rule + track width)

Attachments

• B3730BA3-1831-42BF-BCCA-62411E3F3A4A.jpeg
    B3730BA3-1831-42BF-BCCA-62411E3F3A4A.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 0
Just had a look to see if the story stick slider jobbies were still available from Banggood and looks as though this product is under restocking, which is no guarantee it will be available again - such is the nature of buying on Banggood.

However, I searched Amazon for something similar and came across these Rockler Story Sticks (5 pcs. £12.50), which I thought looked useful:

[..To be used with, for example, 13mm dowel..]

Attachments

• Rockler Story Stick x5.png
    Rockler Story Stick x5.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if this is relevant but came across this company the other day...https://benchdogs.co.uk/collections/precision-tools They seem to do some chunky rulers with a detachable stop, although not a sliding one. Thought it might be of interest in any case. Made in UK too.
Cheers
Richard

Ok so after taking the plunge and buying these

1664389265419.png

the slow boat from China has arrived. They are definately not in the same league as Woodpecker, Incra, Veritas and Jessem products, even the alloy is lighter but that is reflected in the cost so not really unexpected. I did not buy them for accuracy but to achieve repetition and to allow repeat positioning so for that purpose they fit the bill and will be really handy so the right tool at a good price. Considering how handy something like this is, it is surprising why any of our suppliers like Benchdogs, AUK @Peter Sefton or FC tools are not doing something like this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back