Who let the dogs (and horses) out...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Some orders made recently, the names are for stable doors, cut from what I think was ash, although it looked a wee bit like oak, but was quite light, finished in Danish oil ( I don't like Danish oil, makes all wood look the same)
The candle tray is cut from elm finished with microcrystalline wax, and the keyrings are offcuts of oak and elm also finished with wax
ellie_thumb.JPG
sonny_thumb.JPG
spanieltray_thumb.JPG
dogskeyrings_thumb.JPG

Attachments

• ellie_thumb.JPG
    ellie_thumb.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,200
  • sonny_thumb.JPG
    sonny_thumb.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • spanieltray_thumb.JPG
    spanieltray_thumb.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • dogskeyrings_thumb.JPG
    dogskeyrings_thumb.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,200
I like them all Gill but I especially like the candle tray. The cuts on the dogs are very crisp. The tray appears to be made from a single piece of elm so did you use a template for the cut out and if so did you use a straight fluted bit and then use a rounding over bit free hand. It;s a beautiful piece Gill. That Microcrystalline wax is exceptionally good and I now use it all the time. Well done Gill.

They are lovely and amazing detail in the Candle Tray. We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel have you done anything with those on?
Brian

Thanks guys I enjoyed making these for a friend :)
The candle tray is inspired by Sheila Landry's designs, and the centre piece is cut out on the scrollsaw on a bevel so that it drops down into the outer edge, so the round over on the inner edge is easily done with a bearing guide round over bit.
I did one before Christmas for another friend with whippets on, and one with Scotties too more recently, as a gift for the lady who ordered the spaniel one.
I made the patterns on inkscape, which I don't really understand very well, but can fumble my way around with a lot of trial and error to make patterns that I can understand, although I have more recently made a pattern which involved bits of inkscape, old fashioned cut and past, with scissors and glue and back to inkscape :roll: I make the shape and then add in silhouette images that I find on google searches - wish I had the patience to learn computer....

PS all the images I could find for springers, were of them standing still and posing, I have yet to see a real springer standing still for more than a second before flying madly off somewhere else....
Brian if you did a hunt for silhouettes you could easily make one of these for some brownie points :)

They are all nicely cut, but like some others, I think the candle tray is very impressive. Thanks for showing.
Sam

Latest posts

Back