Which Work/machine Light?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McM

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody please recommend a versatile Work/machine Light? Something bright and positionable for a multitude of uses. Handwork, lathe, bandsaw etc
Many thanks

I've just bought this one www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-Axm ... -22427.htm the light is good but it is not as flexible as it looks like it should be, but will do the job. I've bought it to mount on the bandsaw.
I also bought this www.axminster.co.uk/recno/5/product-Axm ... 715100.htm for another purpose but the light is good, its very flexible, but the light doesn't cover a very large area. I haven't tried it in the workshop though. Oh, and the base doesn't seem to be magnetic either, but that doesn't matter to me.

Johnny B

I've got the machine mart one,same as bluezephyr,for lathe work - excellent value and does the job well.

Andrew

hpl":2qbxm3d2 said:
I also bought this www.axminster.co.uk/recno/5/product-Axm ... 715100.htm for another purpose but the light is good, its very flexible, but the light doesn't cover a very large area. I haven't tried it in the workshop though. Oh, and the base doesn't seem to be magnetic either, but that doesn't matter to me.

Johnny, I also bought this one, a few months ago now but, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with it. It seemed okay at first but, I find that having to replace the batteries is a real PITA. My light's actually stopped working correctly - I used it with my bandsaw so, maybe it's clogged with sawdust? Basically, I now have to set it very carefully or else the light won't stay on at all. :(

I wish now that I'd bought a better on and somehow rigged it up to switch on simultaneously with my bandsaw! :wink:

John, looking at the eBay listing, I think Halogen lights get quite hot and so, may be come a hazard with lots of fine dust floating around...?

Most of my work is turning - in an 8x6 shed, with a lot of stuff keeping me close company! A powerful directable pool of light source has always been high on my list, preferably one I can move from lathe to grinder etc fairly easily........

I tried an old anglepoise - very focussable, but the arms were too long! And actually not nearly as 'flexible' as I'd imagined. Tended to get in the way.

Tried a modelmaking "through the lens" magnifying light with the anglepoise type arm(s) - great idea but awful execution. Almost impossible to position it simply in one movement - too fiddly, too light? (pun not intended!)

I bought a mag based gooseneck mains LED - works well with the bandsaw but not much else - too awkward (or maybe I am!). Too many round surfaces on the lathe for it to get attracted to. Also doesn't have a great light (watt?) output - fine if focussed, no good for a wider use.

In desperation I bought a goosenecked (I mean a flexy metal tube stem) reading lamp from John Lewis - in the sale of course! - nailed it to the wall and it does the lathe lighting a treat - very precise, small head so not obstructive, etc etc. Well pleased!

Waiting to find out if a well s/hand old engineering lathe light will also do the job (no point in mucking about with the JL gem, but the sawdust/sanding dust will clog the metal neck solid sooner or later!) - looks quite a lot like the Axminster £50 jobbie referred to above.

So - at last! - my recommendation is be prepared to try several - borrow to try? - solutions to find the one that works for you. Nothing worse than not be able to see properly what one is doing!

If you want something cheap then how about this from Ikea?

It looks similar to the machine mart one. I have 2 mounted behind my lathe and find them very useful. The mounting point is a short metal stem that fits into a small plastic holder which you can fasten to a wall etc. I think you can also buy a heavy metal base. I recently needed more light over my bench so got a small block of wood, drilled a hole in it for the light's stem and clamped it to the bench

Duncan

In the last issue of GW, they had an add for a led style rechargable light, looked very good from the ad.

Jock

Back