Which woods for which purposes ?- a generic question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I was going to post a specific question about a specific type of wood use, but I thought it might be better to ask a little more generically.

I am trying to find general rules of thumb or common suggestions for which woods to use in what circumstances - especially when you don't care about colour or pattern.

Some examples:
Most of my american friends exclusively use Cedar for pretty much any external woodworking project - which is very hard to get ( well - in Yorkshire it seems to be) and apparently a right pain to work with. I know that larch is considered pretty highly for outdoor use in the UK - its pretty rot proof and pretty tough.

(Although - I can get Iroko cheaper than larch - and thats very waterproof - so I'm not sure what thats not used for outdoor projects instead?)

Equally - Beech is often highly recommended for work benches (springy but tough) , as is hard maple for the tops (excellent wear resistance).

What are other common "go to" woods for various uses and why? I.e. doors, roofing, cabinets, tables etc?

Sorry if this is a vauge question - my assumption is that sterotypes appear for a reason - so if I know them it gives me a good starting point for material selection for future projects ( and stops me asking daft questions on here!)

Steve

As far as Larch goes I only really know about Siberian Larch, which may just be a name and is in fact just Larch.
My workshop is clad in it and I used the leftovers to build some garden furniture for some friends about 4 years ago. Benches and tables - that sort of thing. I saw them just a few weeks ago and they were in excellent condition despite being totally exposed to the elements all year round. They've never been treated in any way and look almost as good as new, albeit a bit greyer.

Sapele is often used for external door and window cills and tends to stand up pretty well. I know that Robin (RobinBHM) uses a lot of Iroko on conservatories.

Here endeth my knowledge.

I've not used larch yet as I have mainly done interior work but from what I have been told, its very hard going on tools due to its high silica content. The high silica content is also what makes it endure outside conditions so well apparently.
I tend to select whichever wood is most appropriate for the given task when certain factors are considered;
i.e. has someone decided they want a particular wood, is it for interior or exterior use, is it going to be painted, varnished or left unfinished, what structural strength properties are required, torsion strength, lateral strength, compressive strength, hardness etc.
The one thing I would say is like most things, buy the best you can afford, it tends to be a lot easier to work with and possibly end up cheaper in the end due to time saved.

Is Siberian Larch not just slow growth Larch that has grown up in the higher lattitudes and therefore has closer and denser growth rings making it it more durable?

Droogs":38k309c1 said:
Is Siberian Larch not just slow growth Larch that has grown up in the higher lattitudes and therefore has closer and denser growth rings making it it more durable?

Dunno. My ignorance on the subject is vast. You're probably right.

Droogs":245chw2l said:

Its a separate species; larix sibirica as opposed to larix decidua.

Google: venice built on siberian larch piles -it is pretty durable.

I think it make a great cladding, much harder than WR cedar.

common commercially available timbers UK:
external Joinery timbers:
iroko
accoya
sapele and utile (very similar)
idigbo
red grandis
meranti
European oak
douglas fir

cabinetmaking timbers: (non durable)
American white ash
American white oak
beech
maple & sycamore
cherry
walnut
tulipwood

Yes, a separate species, related to American Larch (Larix laricina), European Larch (L. decide), Western Larch (L. occidentalise). See https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-159.pdf. Incidentally, an excellent US-based source of info for woods is The Wood Database (just google it). It is pretty global and comprehensive, but doesn't happen to have Siberian Larch! But it does have useful info on workability, uses, rot resistance, density, strength etc etc. SlowSteve, I suggest a good browse therein will propel you up the learning curve, perhaps starting with the list of woods that Robin8HM kindly supplied.

Keith

Here in Eastern Canada we have a a tremendous variety of timbers. Off the top of my head, this is what I tend to use.

Good woods for bending: ash, oak
Chair seats: pine
Carving: basswood, cherry
Veneer substrate (excluding ply, mdf etc.): pine
Drawer bottoms: aspen
Table tops and general casework: cherry, white oak, walnut
Beds: cherry
Workbenches and drawers: maple (but I avoid it everywhere else because it's so tough on hand tools)
Exterior work: cedar
Tool handles: hickory

I've been using larch this week, its a total pain as it gums up all the tools because of its resin.

As far as which woods you use I tend not to think of it on an individual basis, you just need to know what qualities you want. Hardness/Weight/Look/Cost/Durability.

There arn't that many commonly available timbers in the UK so its quite easy to learn the qualities of each of them.

phil.p":16lwdivc said:
Stop boasting and go watch the ice hockey. :)

Sorry, will do! But on the other hand I rarely see elm or beech unlike in England.

P.S. It's 1-1 currently and they call it hockey!

n0legs":3usuydi0 said:
Zeddedhed":3usuydi0 said:
Dunno. My ignorance on the subject is vast.

Great statement :lol: :lol: =D>
I'm writing that one down.

“To know that you do not know is the best. To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.”
-Lao-Tzu

BugBear

Latest posts

Back