Which Wooden Smoother?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MixedHerbs":22fwob4w said:
He closed his shop about 20 years ago and got a job with a mail order business (I think).
Oh, a bit better than that, I think - these days he's the "B" in the famous VB36 lathe (I believe the "V" is Nigel Voisey) not to mention running Hegner UK. Still remember the old shop though - it was well worth a diversion on my way to and from the Harwich-Hook ferry back in the late 1970s

Scrit

Tony, the budget i've negotiated with SWMBO is about £100 - and I would probably top up the amount depending on what smoother I go for - at the moment, i'm most definitely going to try the Mujithangimatwhatsit as that is cheap as chips.

My choices other than that are probably going to be a nice HNT Gordon, or if I can do enough research from the links Pam kindly posted a Japanese plane might be in order.

Now, on to your kindly offer, and in respect to a suggestion that I ask philly: Just how comparable would your planes be to the aforementioned? I don't ask this in disrespect, but from a genuine perspective as i've never made a plane before. I've planned one, got the wood etc.. but never did the deed so I'm unclear on exactly what it takes to make a great smoother.

Byron
Are you going to Steve's Bash this weekend? I'll bringing a bunch along so you can try them out.
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Phil,

Unfortunatly, I couldn't make it this weekend as I have to work (i've been on holiday for a couple of weeks, and need to catch up). I always seem to be otherwise occupied on these mini-bashes, which is a shame, although it's always nice to read the follow-up threads.

Benchwayze":yrv8ujet said:
Am I correct in believing that a Japanese plane is used with a pull-stroke?

Normally, but I sometimes push them, especially the small ones.

Pam

Back