Which wood to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayUK

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been commissioned to make some grave markers for a "green cemetary".

I've made a couple before and used oak but they didn't weather too well (I used Danish Oil as a finish)

Can anyone suggest something that can stand out in all weathers, can be maintained easily eg Danish oil (or other suggestions welcomed) and is hard enough to take a good clean router.

Criteria:

Light coloured wood.
Doesnt discolour when weathered.
Easy to maintain.
No paint allowed.

I would stick to oak Ray, but leave it natural without any finish, should weather nicely to a silvery grey colour I think.

Suspect it was the finish used that caused the problem.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thats something I did consider - but pieces I have used in the past turn black pretty quickly (which is OK if you want an "old oak" finish) - even more quickly this year with all the rain we have been having.

Like most grave markers they stand out in all weathers.

iroko would be the other choice but again no finish and let it go silver.

Anyone wanting a green funeral (woodland setting, cardboard or willow woven coffin etc) would want a native FSC timber at the very least. Kind of defeats the object otherwise.
OJ

what about yew??? since it grows in graveyards, seems logical to think it might work well.

however normal grave markers in wood tend to be either oak, or a teak like wood iirc.

since the old man used to make the stone monuments, the wooden grave markers only needed to last about 12months. not sure that is what you want.

paul :wink:

Yes - I'd like to use Yew - one of my favourite woods - but the burial site owners have specified "light coloured wood".

Thanks for your suggestions folks - I'll try to get some cedar I think and do a field test.

what about YEw heart wood then i seem to remember that it is only the inconsistencies of yew for furniture work that gets it stained darker.

why not try to get some samples and stuff them in the ground for a couple of weeks to see what happens?

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back