which turning chisels????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicko

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post!
The story so far:
Second hand Charnwood W812 lathe
Rearrange garage to make space!!
Join this forum, read lots, buy Keith Rowley's book (as recommended buy many on here)
Yandles spring show on Friday, home with record power bench grinder and SC3 chuck
Fleabag today, won sorby deluxe sharpening jig.
Now I need some chisels and I'm away (loads of wood as I'm a tree surgeon!)

So what should I buy? Tempted by the sorby starter set, but would like to hear other's thoughts before I buy.

Thanks for looking

Nick

The sorby starter set looks ok. http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index. ... cts_id=525 I had a cheaper version of the set- Un-branded tools but a similar selection and I have used all except the bowl gouge- but I am yet to turn a bowl. It is easy to advise "buy what you need rather than a set" but when you have none it is difficult to know whether something a bit bigger or smaller would be better. If you were to buy the ones you need immediately- roughing gouge, parting tool, a bowl gouge or spindle gouge, probably a skew, it would probably add up to more than the set anyway.

Sorby and ashley iles seem to be well made items in my limited experience. I have a few of each bits and all seem good quality.

Being a tree surgeon, I assume your interest is bowls?

Thanks Marcros
You hit the nail on the head, until I start I'm not sure what I might need, but with no tools I can't start.
I feel I should buy good quality as you need a good cutting edge to produce avoid finish.
I get some longish straight branch wood, which should be OK for spindles/goblets etc I hope.

Still leaning towards the sorbys though.

Any views on the axminster of faithful sets?

Nick

I haven't seen them, but if you are considering the sorbys I would go with those. If you didn't have the money, the others would be ok and may be better than buying secondhand, as a brand new beginner.

I expect the faithfuls and axi ones will be much like the ones that I have. 3 months into doing a bit if turning- and it is a bit- the parting tool came out of its handle and I am slowly upgrading the tools. They will certainly work, but if you end up upgrading within a year you may as well have got the better ones to start with. The beginner set looks like the tools that you may supplement, but the sizes in there remain useful to have. That is my annoyance with the cheap set that I bought- there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the size of the tool, they just feel cheap. I have nothing much to compare the longevity of the edges with, or really know what is to be expected.

Thanks again Marcros

Having already spent a few quid, I don't want to spoil things with rubbish tools, but also don't want to spend moor than I need too!

Nick

nicko":35uzg945 said:
Tempted by the sorby starter set,
I think that would be a fine choice and the free DVD is likely to be worth a watch too.

The tools in that set are exactly the core tools you'll need and come back to time after time if you do anything more than just one discipline (spindle or bowl). You won't regret buying those from such a reputable manufacturer if you can afford it.

The Axi and Faithful stuff is only just OK.

Sorby tools are good quality and it's unlikely there'd be anything in it that an amateur turner wanting to have a go at different types of turning wouldn't need at some point.

What do you have for sharpening and how proficient are you likely to be at it. There is an argument to say that cheaper, but reasonable quality tools (such as Axminster own) are a better choice to start with when you may find you're grinding them away trying to learn to sharpen them or trying to find a grind that suits you.

I have a couple of Axminster tools and am very happy with them (once I ground them to a suitable profile). I now buy mostly Sorby, the range is good and the quality excellent.

Free DVD! I like thee sound of that.

For sharpening, I have an 8" Record power grinder with whitestone, and on its way from fleabag a sorby deluxe sharpening jig.
I have a good mechanical background having been a prof race car mechanic in a the past, so sharpening doesn't phase me, and I think I will get the hang of it quite quickly (now having the right kit).
That's why I'm drawn to the sorby chisel set

Sets are not always the best option and for comfortable use you need to consider the style and balance of the handles that suit your stature and turning preferences.
Many confirmed turners fit their gouges with alternate handles to get the balance they prefer.

You might well be advised to have a look at a supplier with several brands on the racks and pick them up and see how they feel in the hand or visit a local club and handle the various patterns used by members.
The quality of the various brands steel is near enough in performance to last you the first 5-6 years of use so that's mostly irrelevant, but adjusting your turning approach or body position to suit the tool in the handle the particular marketing brand promotes may not be the best starting point, better to get tools that allow you to weald them in a more responsive natural manner.

Hi Chas,
I completely agree, but I will still after all that holding, feeling and may be even trying, still be at a point that I will need to put my hand in my pocket and buy some. Most will have tried something which felt OK and after owning for a while decided they are not as OK as first appeared.

This is my reason for asking the forum members, I don't have a good club or shop near to me, so I will listen, take advice and then take the plung and buy.

More than happy to be persuaded to take another course of action.

Nick

CHJ":2lpe51xp said:
Sets are not always the best option and for comfortable use you need to consider the style and balance of the handles that suit your stature and turning preferences.
I think if the OP can afford that Sorby set he won't regret it. One has to start with something and that particular set seems to cover the core tools needed very well from a respected manufacturer.
It's likely he'll soon feel the need for additions once he knows where his primary interests lie, but I doubt whether any of those tools would ever sit unused in the average turner's workshop.
have a look at a supplier with several brands on the racks
Great idea, but there are precious few dealers around that have the stock to offer that sort of option. Is there anywhere within an hour and half drive of the OP that offers that ? maybe Toolpost in Didcot ?

Personally I have all different types, I started with a set of Record chisels, I have Crown, Sorby, Axminster and Marples. But the ones I keep coming back to are the bowl gouges I bought from Craft Supplies around 20 years ago (they have "The Home of Good Woodturning" on the handles) I think they were their own make. They are not as hard a steel as the Sorby or Marples but for some reason I always favour them and the length and shape of the handles are fantastic.

midnightlunchbox":1l4ugvqi said:
.....for some reason I always favour them and the length and shape of the handles are fantastic.
I think this is the case for most turners, there always seem to be a couple of gouges, make/brand regardless, that feel right in the hand and become the 'go to' tools for the majority of jobs.

I know I make my own handles to a pattern that 'feels' right, don't know what it is, whether it's just the length or the overall balance of the tool in the hand, might be it's more a case of I don't prefer 'those' but I'd be pushed to tell you why.

Nicko I have been where you are and I would just make a couple of points. First go for quality steel. Second buy less not more until you know what sort of turning you want to focus on. So a small set from a recognised maker is the way to go but it really is a good idea to get your hands on them before you buy! Andrew

When I first started turning I purchased the £150 crown set on Axminster, unfortunately I am new to the forum and can't post a link however a very nice set and high quality tools that will last you a long time

I rarely buy stuff in sets to be honest. I've got lots of different makes but have quite a few Record Power ones as many were on special offer. I like Crown and Hamlet, maybe it's the handle shape? Pick one or two turning projects first then buy the tools to complete those projects. Then buy further tools as required. It's what I've always done and has worked well for me.

Back