First set of turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to dive into the world of turning with a new lathe arriving in a couple of weeks.
I've ordered the requisite Keith Rowley Foundation Course book and have dusted off a full face shield.
I'm looking at getting some tooling and specifically want to buy through Amazon (I have a load of credit with them from using a credit card)

I've seen this set by Faithfull

Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.48.05.png

Here's the spec:
Faithfull HSS Turning Chisel Wooden Boxed Set 8Pc FAIWCTSET8B

Turning chisels for use on woodturning lathes.

Manufactured from High Speed Steel, these chisels will perform well in both hard and soft woods. They maintain a sharp cutting edge much longer than their carbon steel equivalents, requiring less time being re-sharpened

They are fitted with full sized contoured walnut handles for user comfort and brass ferrules.

Overall length: 420 mm.

Length of blade: 160 mm.

Set of 8 woodturning tools supplied in a wooden box.

15mm Diamond Point Scraper

15mm Plain Skew Chisel

25mm Plain Skew Chisel

15mm Parting Tool

15mm Round Nose Scraper

8mm Roughing Out Chisel

16mm Roughing Out Chisel

20mm Roughing Out Chisel

And then there is this set from R SOrby:

Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.53.42.png

With this spec:

This set comprises six of Robert Sorby's core range.

Each set consists of the following

3/4" Spindle roughing gouge - turns square to round, a real work horse.

3/8" Spindle gouge - details spindle work.

3/8" Bowl gouge - makes light work of the hardest material and will quickly turn bowls.

3/4" Standard skew chisel - superb for spindle work e.g. newel posts and table legs.

1/8" Parting tool - for parting off work and great for detailing.

1/2" Round scraper - just the job for bowls and platters

Would I be correct in thinking that although the Sorby set is less chisels for more money it would represent better value?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.48.05.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.48.05.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.53.42.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-13 11.53.42.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,161
Hi

My first turning tools were the Sorby set, I've never looked back, all of them still get regular use. Any experienced turner will agree that the Sorby set is in a whole different league to that of the Faithful ones.

If you search around a bit you can still get the Sorby set for £119 :)

Regards Mick

Ahh

A diamond nosed scraper - that's just another name for a parting tool used on it's side isn't it :wink:

Regards Mick

Yep Sorby set,still using mine daily including the skew now which has took me some time to get used to,but the 10mm bowl gouge is my favourite tool and gets used a lot,so much so i need another one now :D

I wouldn't buy a set. Have a look for individual tools. Bowl, spindle, skew (most useful tool you can have) parting tool roughing gouge that would cover most thing to start with. Sorby are better but if Amazon do Ashley Isles (not sure they do) go for them.

Pete

I bought something similar to the faithfull set. The tools aren't bad, but wish I'd paid more to get the sorby set.

Bodrighy":33yptm6w said:
I wouldn't buy a set. Have a look for individual tools. Bowl, spindle, skew (most useful tool you can have) parting tool roughing gouge that would cover most thing to start with. Sorby are better but if Amazon do Ashley Isles (not sure they do) go for them.

Pete

I had a look and Amazon do the Crown cryo set at a mere £300 plus ????? they are less than half that at axi and other places.....

+1 for Sorby.

Also not sure why you'd want three 'roughing out' chisels and no bowl or spindle gouges and I suspect most beginners struggle to use one skew chisel far less two !

I got similar advice "go for Sorby" I did and it cost me more than it was worth, in my opinion as long as they are HSS and "SHARP" they all cut wood just as good as each other, I have now also bought second hand which I think is a good way.

Speaking form my limited experience I think it would be best if you bought a few all rounders to start with, roughing gouge, 1/2 inch spindle gouge, parting tool for starters, Check the Axminster site and have a look at their tools, these can be bought individually instead of a set, some of which you may not require just yet, people have been turning with 'rubbish' tools for years and turning out stunning stuff, check these guy's assortment of 'tools'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YlxGKJe0ng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA

Nobody has mentioned some way of sharpening your tools,,,,,another expense you have to take into consideration

Andy

Don't turn down good makes of carbon steel tools such as Marples. I read somewhere that you can always tell carbon steel in workshop rack because they're the ones with no dust on them. If I'm having trouble with awkward grain, I go to a set of small Marples. They encourage you to take a lighter cut and of course many say (I'm one) that you can get a sharper edge even if it doesn't last like HSS.
Record Power HSS have been selling quite cheaply over here and are excellent value.

+1 Just be aware when sharpening them that you cannot afford to burn (blue) them. As soon as they are uncomfortable to hold quench them - be very careful not to blue a fine edge, it's very easily done. Incidentally, you don't quench HHS.

phil.p":1jjos1vh said:
+1 Just be aware when sharpening them that you cannot afford to burn (blue) them. As soon as they are uncomfortable to hold quench them - be very careful not to blue a fine edge, it's very easily done. Incidentally, you don't quench HHS.
Exactly so. I bought one that seemed garbage but improved no end once it was reground. The previous owner must have polished out the blue before selling :shock: .

Latest posts

Back