Which Table Top Planer/thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a table top planer/thicknesser for my tiny workshop. I can't afford a floor standing one and in any case there isn't room. It won't get much use. I have used a friend's Woodstar on occasions but I think there must be a better one although I do like the price. I don't like the flimsy fence which has to be removed to use the thicknesser, this can be a 5 minute job. The Charnwood machine can be changed over in a very short time.

I do need to keep the price in the region of this machine and anyone's experience of it would be appreciated. I would love to go for the Record Power or the Kity but they are out of the question.

I've had a table top planer and a table top thicknesser, but not a P/T.

I had SIP 6 inch planer, which I chose because it had cast iron tables. As delivered it was rubbish, but I eventually got it to a state where it could be used.

I also had a DW 733 thicknesser which was a brilliant machine. It would happily thickness 12 inch wide hardwood, was fast, accurate, had good extraction, and gave a good finish. Downside was it had a brush motor which was a real screamer!

I sold them both to get a larger floor standing P/T. There have been good reports on here about the Axminster bench top P/Ts, but I have no personal experience of these.

Good luck,

Back