Which Scroll Saw......Help !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interested in Alan- AKA The Woodman's comment "The Axminster is a blatant Hegner rip-off so doesn't make the list as a pure-bred in my book."

Is it a rip-off or is it made by Hegner for Axminster? A friend who had tried my Hegner bought the AWFS18 on it looking very much like my machine. Although I haven't seen the 2 side by side, I am sure they are from the same stable. As a very satisfied user of the Hegner I would say that the Axminster clone is as good. In fact, it is better, it is MUCH cheaper.

I have had the Hegner for about 12 years and at the time it was bought there was little choice in good quality scroll saws. Especially when its required use was taken into consideration. However, it was expensive back then and out of interest have just had a look at the current prices. I am glad the computer chair has arms, they stopped me from hitting the deck.

It is in regular use, often on a daily basis as part of my work but, it has never let me down once. Over the 12 years it has given excellent and faultless service. Maybe that accounts for the price. However, given today's competition, it is an expensive machine.
Willow

Willow":32jyho3z said:
Interested in Alan- AKA The Woodman's comment "The Axminster is a blatant Hegner rip-off so doesn't make the list as a pure-bred in my book."

Is it a rip-off or is it made by Hegner for Axminster? A friend who had tried my Hegner bought the AWFS18 on it looking very much like my machine. Although I haven't seen the 2 side by side, I am sure they are from the same stable. As a very satisfied user of the Hegner I would say that the Axminster clone is as good. In fact, it is better, it is MUCH cheaper.

Willow

Hi Willow,
A little while back I seem to remember someone here saying that Hegner let the design patent lapse and explains why an almost identical clone, the Axminster, came to market.

Somebody at a woodwork show (it was an SIP rep IIRC) told me that the Hegner patents had expired and Axminster had taken advantage.

Gill

a friend had bought a budget saw for around £25.00 (about 1995 ish) ,
it vibrated so much,he had to follow it round his workshop, and try to keep up with it :lol:
so when i went to buy my first saw ,the choice was Delta or some chinese
make , not unlike the one in Alans picture ,so remembering my friend's i came home with the Delta !!! :D the quick change blade alone is worth the extra ££'s , it's a great saw --i think --- reasonably quiet ,and smooth, ---------so i bought another , a variable speed this time !!! they do come up on ebay from time to time, i also would like to try a DeWalt 788 and the Axminster Hegner copy ! i also heard Hegners patent had expired ! but not had it confirmed .
also aquierd a hobby's treadle saw, an A1 abought 1920 vintage !! Ebay again !!!
At least there is a lot of choise nowdays , y pays yer money --------------------------------!!!!!!

Happy scrolling --------Frank-------------------

Hi Frank,

I was once treated to the delights of the type of beast in Alan's picture and have referred to it on another thread. It was in a school workshop where I was running a night class and although bolted down to a fixed bench that ran the length of the room, it felt as though it was would pull the bench from the wall (or the wall from the school).

We were meant to be using it for 12th scale miniatures but as I have mentioned elsewhere, we would have got better results using a bandsaw with a rip blade. How the kids were meant to use it, goodness knows.

It was one of those things that has left a lasting impression. There wasn't a lot of choice back then.

Willow

Willow":k5tuik5p said:
Hi Frank,

It was one of those things that has left a lasting impression.

Willow

Especially when a blade broke eh Willow !!
The clatter of the top arm after blade breakage is an experience not to be recommended.
I'd liken it to that moment after a near miss in a car at high speed when your heart misses a beat and then goes ten to the dozen :oops:

I'd liken it to that moment when you've been scrolling for half an hour and start thinking, "These blades normally only last twenty minutes. I'm going to have to start thinking about changing this one soon... BANG!... now."

:lol:

Gill

I be a newby on here and am looking at purchasing a new saw I almost purchased a Clarke yesterday but then read your reviews so ran like hell from MM. Now I have come accross the following and would like your advice.
Einhell TH-SS 405E 120W Scroll Saw

:?

Cheers Don.

Hi Don,
If you look back on some of my previous posts about Parkside Scrollsaw from Lidl..... they sent me a replacement from Einheil and it was the same model you mention and basically it was as bad as the Parkside in fact i flogged it for £25 to someone who wanted a motor as it just wouldn't cut smooth even with the best blades and bolted down to the very solid bench it shook like mad.
I know now i have said this there will be people who own one and their works fine but having had 2 the same and both were rubbish i wouldn't risk buying another (they may be lucky and managed to get one that works but i doubt it)
I now have an Axminster which is lovely but much more expensive and alot for people to plash out on if they are just starting off with scrolling... you could try finding a good used one on Ebay. I have seen some lovely work done on a Jet branded saw and there are plenty of others to go at, some of the other guys on here should have more info.
Sorry it was good news about the Einhell but when you see my other posts it will explain the problems.
Cheers and welcome to the forum
Brian
Ps I'm a newbie and still learning so your not alone but the guys on here are very helpful and know what they are talking about.

Many thanks that was a close shave as I already had it my Amazon basket but no longer I will now go look to see the price of the Axminster and the Jet and maybe some others may get look in as yet.

Back