Which Router for an enthusiastic learner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobanded

Reaction score
Hi

Now that I am retired and wish to learn how to use a router and possibly take it up as a hobby, I would welcome advice on the type (fixed base or plunger)I should be thinking of buying. I think most of my projects would involve the use of a router secured to a router table.

I have a router table, purchased some years ago, which has seen very little use because when I first tried routing I got bored with the amount of time it took to change a bit (fiddling about under the router table) and also the fact that my bits, if pushed right in to the router and retracted slightly, were not then protruding fully above the table level so as to use the full cutting surface of the bit.

Things have moved on since I last looked at this sort of thing and collett extensions etc seem to be a suitable method of resolving at least one of my previous problems.

The router table I have is is a Wolfcraft-B6156506-Router-Table

I do not know if I am going to take to this but I would welcome any views on the type/make of router I should be looking at. I obviously don't want to pay out for top the range stuff but would not be averse to spending up to about £200.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed

I would certainly go for a plunge router even for a table setup. Definitely half inch collett too. One with plenty of power. I could recommend a few but as has been stated here on many occasion get the best you can afford. I have a wide and varied selection of routers and my favourite ones are the De Walt, Elu, and Freud. I also have an Hitachi MV12 I use in the table which seems perfect for the job. If you buy a 'cheap' router you may regret the purchase with the inaccuracies these tend to have. Many on the forum seem to regard the Triton as a good router for a table and they can be had for around £189 at the moment. I cannot comment on this router as I have never used one but they do seem well built and thought out. I hope this is of some help to you. Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forum Ed. :wink:

mobanded":3s28dgo5 said:
Hi

Now that I am retired and wish to learn how to use a router and possibly take it up as a hobby, I would welcome advice on the type (fixed base or plunger)I should be thinking of buying. I think most of my projects would involve the use of a router secured to a router table.

I have a router table, purchased some years ago, which has seen very little use because when I first tried routing I got bored with the amount of time it took to change a bit (fiddling about under the router table) and also the fact that my bits, if pushed right in to the router and retracted slightly, were not then protruding fully above the table level so as to use the full cutting surface of the bit.

Things have moved on since I last looked at this sort of thing and collett extensions etc seem to be a suitable method of resolving at least one of my previous problems.

The router table I have is is a Wolfcraft-B6156506-Router-Table

I do not know if I am going to take to this but I would welcome any views on the type/make of router I should be looking at. I obviously don't want to pay out for top the range stuff but would not be averse to spending up to about £200.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Hi Ed

I f you want to fix it to a router table I would reccommend the Triton, the bits can be changed above the table, also the height adjustment is quick and easy.

Martin

For ease of use, I rate the triton highly. I have the smaller one of the two and its great both freehand and in the table. It has very very easy cutter change, auto-spindle lock, and the spindle itself sits quite high from the base, so it can be changed above the table.

Ed

First you need to decide whether you want to use the router in the table or freehand. For table use I'd either buy the Dewalt 625, Trend T11 or the large Triton. For freehand work it has to be either the Trend T5 or Dewalt 615. There is really very little difference between the two. (Other users will agree the black Trend is easier to hide from SWMBO).

My opinion on routers others will differ so visit a shop and try for yourself.

Gary

Think the perceived wisdom is that the two leading candidates for table use are the large Triton and the Trend T11.

The Trend works best with a collet extension called the Xtreme Xtension which Rutlands have on special at the moment for around £40. Others say that the Triton doesn't need this so you can save a few more quid.

The Trend however may be better balanced if you expect to use it freehand out of the table on occasion also.

I have the Trend permanently table mounted, with the XX, and it's a delight and a doddle to use. Others similarly rate the Triton, so probably best have a look at both if you can and either shouldn't dissapoint.

You will get most out of building your own "Norm" style table and cabinet also, but that can come later once you have a decent router and get further hooked !!!

Cheers, Paul. :D

I have a DeWalt 625 which I can recommend. It'd probably eat up all of your £200 budget though, before you even buy yourself some decent router bits for it.

I bought a Wolfcraft router table early on (don't recall which model), which claimed to handle the DeWalt. I had to buy an extra/separate mounting plate for the DeWalt though, which I wasn't too impressed by. I was even less impressed when I found that the weight of the DeWalt caused the mounting plate to bend while using the router. Annoying, and pretty bloody dangerous to have it happen while feeding some wood across it! My Wolfcraft table was quickly kicked to the back of the attic and every time I see it I am tempted to take a hammer to it!

Whichever router you decide on, do some digging to find out if your table is really capable of taking it. If you have the inclination, a home-built router table is likely to be better and you can make it strong enough to take any router you like.

Although I can't say a bad thing about the DeWalt, if I were buying a 1/2" router today, I'd seriously consider the Triton as it is designed to work well in a table (can install bits above the table surface, etc.), so apart from anything else it might work out cheaper than something like the DeWalt plus an eXtreme eXtension.

I'd also try to physically pick up the routers you are considering before you make a final decision. 1/2" routers can be heavy, which might not be to everyone's taste, although it does contribute to a more stable machine in use. 1/4" routers are lighter (the DeWalt 621 is one that I can recommend), but at the cost of not being able to use beefier router bits amongst other things.

Good luck, whatever you decide upon.

May I thank you all for such quick and obviously well informed responses. I am going to buy the big triton.

Regards Ed

Back