Which rebate plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get hold of a rebate plane for making smallish(ish) rebates approx 12 - 18mm x 10 - 20mm.
I know that there are loads of options out there, and I'm currently trying to get rid of one of them (Stanley Duplex Combi rebate plough grooving monster No 45) as I simply can't get on with it.

I'm pretty sure that the Veritas Skew Rebate plane is a fine bit of kit and would do the job, but I'm wondering if the wise members could advise me of a suitable alternative (preferably cheaper) that is known to be a good user, fuss free and easy enough to set up.

Buy an old wooden moving fillister. You get a comfortable body shape to hold, a thick skewed blade and easy working.

Look for one with boxwood along the edge to prevent wear, a fence in reasonable shape and screws whose slots are not too rounded over. There's no need to look for any particular make to get a good user.

And buy it now before the influential hand tool bloggers pick it up and the prices go up, the way that routers have.

Zeddedhed":2lmukq1y said:
katellwood":2lmukq1y said:
Thanks for that.
Should I assume that they can be used either way round - the fence can be switched over along with the depth foot?

They can be used left handed (that's how I use them) however you will not be able to utilise the depth stop. the 778 is more adept to using left handed due to the fence being mounted on a double bar slide

AndyT":2zp50sfm said:
Buy an old wooden moving fillister. You get a comfortable body shape to hold, a thick skewed blade and easy working.

Look for one with boxwood along the edge to prevent wear, a fence in reasonable shape and screws whose slots are not too rounded over. There's no need to look for any particular make to get a good user.

And buy it now before the influential hand tool bloggers pick it up and the prices go up, the way that routers have.

I was going to answer, but Andy's said it all.

+1.

BugBear

Yes, just like that eBay one which is a good one. It has not lost its nicker and the depth stop has a locking screw, both good features.

Zeddedhed":xz4t1mup said:
I'm looking to get hold of a rebate plane for making smallish(ish) rebates approx 12 - 18mm x 10 - 20mm.
I know that there are loads of options out there, and I'm currently trying to get rid of one of them (Stanley Duplex Combi rebate plough grooving monster No 45) as I simply can't get on with it.

I'm pretty sure that the Veritas Skew Rebate plane is a fine bit of kit and would do the job, but I'm wondering if the wise members could advise me of a suitable alternative (preferably cheaper) that is known to be a good user, fuss free and easy enough to set up.

It might not be quite what you're after but I find a RECORD 311 or its equivalents to be a perfect part of the trinity of essential planes.

RossJarvis":25bsaaww said:
It might not be quite what you're after but I find a RECORD 311 or its equivalents to be a perfect part of the trinity of essential planes.

Thanks for that RJ. I guess you mean one not unlike this:

Screenshot 2015-07-20 08.15.00.jpg

If so, then I've just recently purchased one. I do have some questions about it though.
Perhaps on a separate thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-07-20 08.15.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-07-20 08.15.00.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 889
Zeddedhed":29g27e71 said:
RossJarvis":29g27e71 said:

Thanks for that RJ. I guess you mean one not unlike this:

If so, then I've just recently purchased one. I do have some questions about it though.
Perhaps on a separate thread.

That's it, I love mine, even though I can never sharpen the iron square :oops:

RossJarvis":3kyhx7tk said:

May I ask, what are the other two deities in this essential trinity?

DTR":3adiumi8 said:
RossJarvis":3adiumi8 said:

I was going to ask the same thing. :)

Hello,

Is the OP a left handed, since he seems to be asking questions alluding to this? In which case, the Veritas skew rabbet comes in the only true leftie variant that I can think of. It is a first class tool and would circumvent a leftie trying to overcome using a fenced plane right handedly, and not have the limitations of swapping a right handed plane so it can be used left handedly. Is it your left-handedness that stops you getting on with the Stanley 45? Is it likely that you would find it less easy to get on with any fenced plane, you might have similar ergonomic problems with a Record 778 or whatever. I'd go for the Veritas if money permits, they function just a bit better than a 778 anyway, even though I'm right handed. Dieter Schmit has them for 235 euro, which is a lot better than buying here. For furniture I would not hesitate getting the Veritas, site joinery, the Record. If I was a leftie, there would be only one option for me.

Mike.

Edited to say ergonomic instead of economic, blooming spell corrector!

AndyT":3iupnbvi said:

Too late for that, had a look around ebay and everthing seemed to be 100 and upwards for me.

woodbrains":36gtzd1r said:
Hello,

Is the OP a left handed, since he seems to be asking questions alluding to this? In which case, the Veritas skew rabbet comes in the only true leftie variant that I can think of. It is a first class tool and would circumvent a leftie trying to overcome using a fenced plane right handedly, and not have the limitations of swapping a right handed plane so it can be used left handedly. Is it your left-handedness that stops you getting on with the Stanley 45? Is it likely that you would find it less easy to get on with any fenced plane, you might have similar economic problems with a Record 778 or whatever. I'd go for the Veritas if money permits, they function just a bit better than a 778 anyway, even though I'm right handed. Dieter Schmit has them for 235 euro, which is a lot better than buying here. For furniture I would not hesitate getting the Veritas, site joinery, the Record. If I was a leftie, there would be only one option for me.

Mike.

Mike, I'm not left handed. But I am a feckin' eejit. I've just realised what a totally dumb question I asked. For some reason the idea of turning the wood around didn't cross my addled mind. (or maybe it did and just kept on going!!!)

I must admit the idea of the Veritas is tempting since it'll only get workshop use.
And whilst I'm at it I'll try and convince myself to get a Veritas small Plough as well....

Hello,

Not a leftie, then you've loads of options, though if money is not a barrier, the Veritas is lovely. I have not tried the small plough though. I like Record 050 plough combos, and doubt that it could be bettered, so I would recommend one of these for a cheap used plane. I got one on eBay, full Set of cutters and largely unused for about 25 quid.

Mike.

DennisCA":1jcyqghk said:
AndyT":1jcyqghk said:

Too late for that, had a look around ebay and everthing seemed to be 100 and upwards for me.

I fear you may be at a disadvantage, as not all ebay sellers will post beyond UK and the postage is high on these relatively heavy planes. And the euro is low against the pound. :cry:

I just had a quick look back and the last five completed listings for wooden moving fillisters ranged from £2.20 to £22. The nicest was this one at £5 +£2.80

A few more tips:

- don't try and search by words - many vendors have no idea what these are called beyond "plane".
- watch out for missing bits especially on depth stops and nickers
- don't buy a plane with a mis-matched iron (eg from an ordinary rebate plane) - this can be hard to spot, as I know to my cost.

DTR":1n1ygjf9 said:
RossJarvis":1n1ygjf9 said:

A 5 1/2 Jack plane and a 60 1/2 low angle block plane, plus the 311 cover 90% of what I do, if not more.

Latest posts

Back