Members can turn off viewing Ads!

which plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at using plywood to knock out shapes and templates - who knows, perhaps something presentable.

To that end, what kind of plywood should I be using? The kind you find in a well known DIY shop claims to be for external use, and to be honest doesn't look as if it coold be tidied up.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
have a look at wisa twin from Jewson as an alternative to Birch ply. MDF might be cheaper for templates if you are needing to use the thicker sizes.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
+1 for Birch ply but try and get Birch through not the just Birch faced with softwood inside. The "solid Birch ply " tends to be heavier and less prone to de-laminate. Geoff

Louise-Paisley

Established Member
Reaction score
I am now using 12mm mdf for router guide templates, its easier to work to a nice smooth clean outline than ply but I expect not so durable and easier to damage.

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
Birch (throughout) ply is very robust, but much will depend on how you are going to secure the templates to the work, as it's not particularly flat. If it's going to be screwed on then you will be ok, if you are using double sided tape then you might be better off with mdf.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a point with MDF templates I have started using shellac sealer on the edges and they do last long and seem a bit smoother. Geoff