Which osmo polyx do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

About to order a few litres of osmo poly-x I have never used osmo before but read it's the business.
I will be using it mainly on American white oak and a bit of pine.
I originally thought i'd go for raw matt but thinking about it maybe clear matt satin would make for a nicer finish.

What osmo finish do you all prefer and why?

I use clear matt most of the time. If you want a slight sheen you can achieve this by applying a third coat (normally I only do two) and leaving it to go slightly sticky before buffing it off like a madman.
Otherwise like I said it's just two coats. it's great to use - very easy, no sweating and puffing, no elbow grease. Just wipe or brush it on and then wipe it off. Simples. I guess if you layer it up more you get more protection but I've never really needed more than two coats, even for a commercial bar top.

better off ordering the 5ml samples and testing it out as it's bloody expensive?
got a few of the tints/and the clear one and wasn't really that impressed at least on the pine, the fiddes range gave much better results to me.

Be aware not everyone loves it. I bought some off the back of all the good press it gets and have been disappointed. First used it on a cherry table and it did not bring out the depth of colour I expect with cherry then a friend used it on his American white oak counter top which I had made. All looked good but a year on it looks dirty but doesn't clean off like it would if a good oil had been used. I will still use it on pale woods where I don't want depth of colour or yellowing that you might get with oil but for a nice rich colour and easy to clean finish I will stick with Liberon finishing oil.

Hello all,

Newbie who has been lurking for a while having found this site when researching building workshop bench. Great site and already learned a lot from reading the posts - even bought a Festool TS55 based on discussions on this site :D Very much an enthusiastic DIYer who has spent a number of years refurbishing my house and building the odd wooden toy for the kids.

In relation to this post I laid about 40sq m of oak engineered flooring in the house and applied two coats of the semi-matt clear polyx-oil. This was about 5-6 years ago and apart from the odd patch where our older dog has lost bladder control it has worn very, very well. Occasional wash with the Osmo wash and care and good to go. Not sure what you will be using it on Jmac but I have been very happy with it. And no I have no affiliation with Osmo :D

Cheers and thanks to all for the informative and fun forum.

Jeff

I got a sample of each of the polyx range today, will try later today.
What product from fiddes do you use for internal furniture?

Thanks for the suggestions.
I went with the osmo poly-x satin clear, I tried it yesterday on a oak mirror frame i made for the wife.
Seems pretty nice but after the first coat i had a couple of very small areas where it left some kind of sticky streak and a few sticky small circles (very small) i sanded it back with a super fine scotch pad attached to my sander (more like buffing it really) then applied a second very thin coast just with rags rubbing it in hard.. Now feels super smooth.
I think i just put the first coat on too thick with the paint brush although i did wipe the excess away after a few minutes.
I just ordered a 1l tin of fiddes matt clear as i want to compare the two.
Here is the mirror:

cECPolC.jpg

Cheers

I believe the osmo stuff is specially aimed for oak? It just gets meh results On pine from the samples I have used, but looks decent on oak.
fiddes stuff also is decent on pine,yet to try on oak.

Back