which Mft hole making jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycbr

Established Member
Reaction score
wondering which system you guys are using & the reason why ?
soon be looking for a system to do this
any input & views would be helpful

CNC shop and while I was there having an 8 X 4 made up I got a template made to allow me to make my own. All in, £100 nearly 4 years ago.

I've got the Parf guide system. I got it because I want to make a square pattern in various tops from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How small a piece can the parfitt jig go to? With a template, you can go as small as four holes, like the tops of IKEA step stools for example; dead handy they are.

Wuffles":37vm8743 said:
How small a piece can the parfitt jig go to? With a template, you can go as small as four holes, like the tops of IKEA step stools for example; dead handy they are.

That's a cool idea never thought of that ...
How hard would it be to copy one of these cnc jigs ?
So I've got the original jig always & use the copy so if I damage it I can just do another copy of the original jig ?
Or make a few copy's & sell to workmates to get some cost back ?

I think they're widely available these days. I had mine (half sheet) cut with 30mm holes at same centres as standard mft, then use a 30mm guide bush on a router with a 20mm spiral cutter. I use the 20mm festool bit.

I then set about making a tiny version of that using it and a bearing cutter which I have used for really small stuff. You don't use them all the time, that's possibly why I don't get the parfitt thing, I've used mine twice in three years.

If you don't think you will go through many tops it may be easier to just buy a CNC cut top and then buy another one when it needs replacing. This thread seems to have identified a good source. Or indeed they make a template which is about a third of the cost of the ParfGuide. Not used them myself so can't personally recommend, but the OP in the thread below seemed very happy.

mft-top-t97562.html

Unless you are in the habit of putting holes in almost every surface in your workshop I also struggle with the cost benefit of the ParfGuide system, but if a few people, say in a turning club, bought one between them then I think it would make a lot of sense.

Terry.

I'd have to measure it to work out how small you can go. Although probably not as small as with a template. But I guess you need a small template as a big one will be difficult to balance on a stool.

To be fair I don't think there is a lot of difference in the methods. I say that because how often do you need to create a top. So even if one method is quicker than the other then it doesn't matter. I think accuracy is important and again I don't think there is a lot of difference as long as you use quality cutters.

The Parf system is smaller to store but slower to use.

I used the RS Pro CNC jig for mine. I wanted the flexibility of making my own tops of non-standard sizes as required, hence why I didn't go down the route of CNC made tops. I tried using my Incra LS positioner with a jig to hold the router onto the fence before that, but it was tedious and I wasn't happy with the results.

DiscoStu":1r8yevy3 said:
The Parf system is smaller to store but slower to use.

I don't own either, but that template is roughly 1.2m x 0.4m x 12mm thick, so not hard to store if you can stick it on the wall. The "sticks" in the Parf Guide system are themselves a metre long, so it isn't like that will easily slip into any old drawer.

Surely the real trade off here is cost versus durability. The Parf Guide being made of metal should be good for hundreds of tops, I doubt the MRMDF template will last as long. But even allowing for somebody needing to buy a new bushing and cutter to use with the template it comes in at about half the price of the Parf Guide. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Terry.

Wuffles":3htcs9xc said:

I need to know more about this ;)

BEKVÄM - found a photo for you on the FOG

caa324ae632da505cfba304e22e12153.jpg

Yes, am away from home, but I think mine just has four holes. Ironically it's the one that remains in the kitchen, the one in the workshop that's totally shafted hasn't got them.

Next time I am at Ikea (probably a few years away lol) I will pick one up. We won't be able ot keep it in the kitchen as it's a small room and the missus has a folding stool in there anyway, not being a short buttocks, I don't need one! lol
Be useful in the workshop though, I could use it as a seat and a stool for the top shelves and it can do double duty when doing DIY.

siggy_7":20iponuu said:
I used the RS Pro CNC jig for mine. I wanted the flexibility of making my own tops of non-standard sizes as required, hence why I didn't go down the route of CNC made tops. I tried using my Incra LS positioner with a jig to hold the router onto the fence before that, but it was tedious and I wasn't happy with the results.
hi
Is that the jig on ebay ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222194285251? ... EBIDX%3AIT
How hard is it to make a top Dimensions length x width 1102 x 718 mm standard size ?
Cant seem to find any vids on this jig :oops:

Monkey Mark":1tj9g0fx said:
Wuffles":1tj9g0fx said:
BEKVÄM - found a photo for you on the FOG

caa324ae632da505cfba304e22e12153.jpg
What a fantastic little idea!

Link for it in case anyone was interested.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30178879/

EDIT: Whilst I'm here, what is the little clamp used on this stool called? I've tried searching for dog hole clamp and similar variations but couldn't find it. :?
If you mean the black one, it's the Festool clamping elements. Handy but oh so expensive.

Yes that's the one. It's easy to use, doesn't take much time at all. The holes are over sized for a standard 30mm guide bush, such that with a 12.7mm cutter you end up with the 20mm holes. As such, you need a router set up nice and concentric with the bush. Also it helps to have good dust extraction, alternatively I would recommend cleaning up and then going over the holes a second time before moving the template or you risk dust getting in the template and making the holes under sized.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back