which lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyM

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm shortly to move to the UK and will be looking for a new lathe. I have a Jet 1442 which I am happy with here in the US but they are a lot more expensive in the UK. I've been browsing the Axminster web site and wonder if any one can rate the M950 or the Jet 1236, are jet and axminster lathes the same machines? I plan to make musical instruments

Welcome to the forum kenny, it's always good to see another turner come aboard.

Sorry I cant help with the lathes, but i'm sure someone will be along soon who will know about them.

Hi Kenny, welcome to the forum.

The Axminster/Jet/Perform models in the range you are looking at are all variations on a theme that you will find under a number of other brand names in the UK. (Axminster/Jet brands have a somewhat symbiotic relationship)

In theory the higher priced models have improved specifications (bearings/finish etc) and more accurate machining of components but this depth of detail is hard to prove. Finish being the only obvious visual one.

The Jet model you refer to has a fixed location rotating head, with 300-310mm swing over the bed and a 550watt motor.

The Axminster has rotating head that is locatable anywhere along the bed with 350mm swing but only a 350watt motor.

The two similar Perform brand machines have 550 and 750 watt motors.

If your turning is as a subsidiary to your main woodwork interests then you may find the perform budget range adequate.

(Non of the above will have quite the 'solid' feel of your current model but can be improved with solid bench mounting or stand stiffening.)

Thanks for the info, I hate buying over the internet without seeing it up close so I'll have to chew it over for a while. I don't need rotating or moving headstocks, I just use the woodworking lathe to rough down square blocks to cylinders, do decorative beads etc, high speed polishing, and slow speed boring.

kennyM":1t3pekpf said:
...snip.. I just use the woodworking lathe to rough down square blocks to cylinders, do decorative beads etc, high speed polishing, and slow speed boring.

In that case This Budget modelmay be good enough, it's all I have used to date for my gallery.

Even This One may be enough for your needs.

You will have to factor in a chuck etc. which will cost the same again in the UK.

In fact their is a maker of traverso's who uses that exact same 'budget model' and it seems to be adequate for his needs. Just google 'luc verhoeven'
and click on 'how my flutes are made'

Latest posts

Back