Which is more accurate....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schultzy,

Rubber might expand, but within quite small tolerances steel doesn't. Tyres are made of steel and rubber. Watch a flat tyre as it is inflated.......better still, put a dressmakers tape around it............the distance from the ground to the axle will certainly change, but the circumference will not. A flat tyre bulges out at the sides. The fact that the distance from the ground to the axle changes as you inflate the tyre you have observed....but you haven't mentioned that the distance from the axle to the top of the tyre does not expand. That would be a pre-requisite for an expansion of the circumference.

Someone on here is going to have to do a trial of this!! Remember, it must be a car tyre.......not a bike tyre or wheel barrow tyre (which are all rubber).

Anyway, this isn't my theory. If you check the tyre section of "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide" by Tom Shepherd....(who was Land Rovers main expedition man and wrote a number of instruction books on highly technical stuff for them), you will see where I first read this fact.

It was an important fact for me, because I had to navigate across the Sahara by dead reckoning (at times) with tyres deflated to ease sand-driving. I had to know what my mileage was exactly, and calibrated the speed through numerous tests. Tom Shepherd then confirmed this counter-intuitive fact for me, and my thousands of miles of checking as I crossed Africa proved him exactly right.

Mike

Oh..the dragster thing. They are clearly one or two use tyres.....I can't imagine they are made in the same way as car tyres . I don't suppose there is much steel in them, because that circumferential expansion seems to be something they actively seek...........not a trait that is very useful in a Fiesta tyre!

You apply a terrain correction factor, obtained from a table. There are people who have made this a life-time study! The key to success in navigating in that sort of terrain is not any fancy equipment or great knowledge.......it is keeping a navigation log. Noting every feature, turning, cairn, post etc.

You would be surprised how incredibly little difference it makes to your mileage spinning your wheels a bit if you are bogged........having said that, the last thing you do when you are bogged is spin your wheels!!

Mike

More importantly:

Whilst you are 'allowed' certain discrepancies in speedometer readings, this is no defence if you are reported for speeding.

You might use it as mitigating circumstances of course, if your excessive speed was within the legal margin of error, but that's about it.

So unless you can afford a sharp brief, don't try it on!

Here speaks the voice of experience.

:lol:

Back