which festool domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackal

Wallybois Woodworking on YouTube
Reaction score
Im considering buying a domino joiner but not sure which....500 or 700. I would like to join windows and doors . Also can anybody recommend a supplier.

Thanks

Where I work we have both and I also own a 500 we dont make large doors and windows so probably not much use to you, but we use the 500 daily! Use it for loads of stuff board joining, frame construction doors, Flipping fantastic you can could cut a hundred mortices and as long as your connected to the midi vac you dont get any dust!

a company in America make a little adapter that lets you use all the 500 cutters with the 700

Adidat

For suppliers, also have a look at N&B ( http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/dom ... g-machine/ ) or maybe FFX ( http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/category/Cor ... inters/2/1 ). I have to say that N&B have been the best supplier I have dealt with in recent years, customer service is spot on, always contactable, regular updates on your order and there seems to be a genuine interest in building a customer relationship.

As mentioned up there ^, the 700 can do everything the 500 can do with an adapter from Seneca ( http://www.senecawoodworking.com/produc ... tool-df700 ). This will allow all the 500 cutters to be used in the 700. Consider the shim plates from Seneca for sheet work as well.

I have both (and the Seneca kit) and in terms of use my own preference is the 700. A lot of people are concerned that the 700 may be too heavy comparative to the 500 however in my opinion that's its advantage - the extra weight translates into more stability than the 500. Don't get me wrong, the 500 is a superb machine and I would be happy if left with either, but you certainly get your moneys worth in the extra you pay for the 700 and the adapter over the 500.

Check out the Festool Owners Group, this question has been done to death on there as this is a common decision to make.

I recently bought a 500 and think its excellent. I'm not posting on 500 vs 700 as I've not used the 700 but you can see from the specs if the dominos are big enough or not. I'm just posting to say I think I got a good deal. I bought the 500 with all the cutters, sustain with dominos and the cross stop and trim stop for £649 which is about £150 off of the normal price.

To add, make sure that you do go through a proper dealer, check the Festool site to confirm their status before ordering. Its a false economy not using a confirmed dealer and often a risk. There were some cracking deals on Domino's recently, not sure if they are still running. I would recommend speaking to the dealers to see if they can get a better price for you - its worth the effort.

I'd go along with that. I bought mine from Axminster and they registered the product for me there and then. Only thing was I was in a hurry as I was just popping in on my way to the rugby final! Opps. Missed the first 5 mins.

Wow.. some very positive feedback for the machines and it seems that the 700 is the answer. I know it is a great piece if kit but w
Wish it was a bit cheaper.

Back