Which downlighters, LD or Mains (or low voltage)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm only installing 3 for a wet room, so for this particular application their energy rating is less important than it might otherwise be.

What's different to usual is that I've only got about 95mm above the plasterboard, below the insulation. That's not enough depth for the mains downlighters I've used in the past, so I'm wondering what alternatives there are. I know LED lights don't get very hot, so could work without much depth, but in the past I wouldn't have considered them as I didn't think they gave off much light - has this changed at all, as I notice LED torches are better than the old technology?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

In our bathroom I used a low voltage / transformer system from Screwfix.

Worked well, easy to install & is the highest safety rating.

Never had a bulb pop (unlike the mains system in the kitchen :evil: )

The LEDs I've found are said to be bright (according to the shop 3W = 25W equiv, 5W = 35W) but they have met the IPx4 rating. Which is a shame, as they seem to be better when it comes to heat.

Any ideas what lights will work in up to 100mm depth, and be IP rated?

How high's the ceiling? If it's over 2250mm then you're outside of the zones that need equipment with an IP rating. Take a look here for the current (17th edition) regs.

Haven't tried LEDs recently - with the low heat output they would be ideal so may well be worth doing a bit of hands-on research, otherwise I'd go for LVs - we have them throughout the house and haven't had any problems at all; buy decent lamps and they'll last a long time.

I've used the IP65 Flameguard stuff before - here - but they're 110mm deep so probably not for you unless you're prepared to cut away some of the insulation. A fast Google throws up this - 95mm deep, so it should just fit, though obviously the cables have to come out of the housing somewhere…

The cheap Screwfix fire-rated Halolight ones are quoted as 140mm deep, but they include the little bracket and connector block to the lampholder in that, so you might squeeze one in? Might be worth a tenner to try one out - you can always return it??

HTH, Pete

petermillard":1leb26u4 said:
How high's the ceiling? If it's over 2250mm then you're outside of the zones that need equipment with an IP rating.
I didn't know that, thanks. I found some LV ones here which say they only need 75mm, and the company emailed me to confirm. I was ordering some wall uplights from them anyway (used them before) so I'm going to try them. Even if they don't need to be IP rated I'm glad they are, as I'm worried about the amount of moisture going into my ceiling.

otherwise I'd go for LVs - we have them throughout the house and haven't had any problems at all; buy decent lamps and they'll last a long time.
What makes lights go is a complete mistery to me. When I did a loft conversion in my last house I had 22 downlighers in the loft (8 in each bedroom and 6 in the bathroom) and in 2 years not one bulb went. I fitted the same lights to my kitchen, and in one year, 9 of the 10 went. No insulation around kitchen lights, plenty of ventilation and rooms above. Loft had dimmers, so I put it down to that, but I've had dimmers in other situtions which haven't had the same life giving effect.

I bought some light sets for the kitchen units from Screwfix last week and are now only sold in low voltage form (the catalogue said 240v.) apparently since the introduction of new legislation.
Cheers,
Jim

Back