Which bandsaw? Help me spend my hard earned.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the market for a bandsaw.

My Budget was to be about £600 but after some research I've extended that to £800.

I've convinced myself that the Record Power BS400 is the one to go for.

I've asked in the Users Bandsaws post if anyone has any experience of this machine but no response so far.

My main requirements are as follows:-
Maximum motor power within budget.
Maximum depth of cut within budget.
Capable of taking 1/4" up to 1" blades.
Cast iron wheels.
Robust machine.
Hopefully personally recommended by someone.

The BS400 is 270mm depth of cut with a 2HP motor and accepts the blades I would like. I can get it for £816 delivered with the optional wheel kit or .

Scheppach Basato 4 is 250mm depth of cut with a 2HP motor and also accepts the blades I would like. Free mitre gauge and would be £770 delivered with built in wheels and storage underneath. I don't know if it is equipped with cast iron wheels.

Axminster AWHBS450N is 280mm depth of cut with 3HP motor but smallest blade is 3/8". Free mitre gauge £725.50 delivered with no wheel kit. Larger unit overall (I've only got a single garage) and unsure if it has cast wheels. Longer blade too.

I am looking for a machine that I never need to upgrade.

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

You can get the Scheppach Basato 4 for £690 delivered, have a look here. I've never used this company before, but I've got no reason to think they're dodgy. I've got the Basato 1 Bench-Top model, I don't use it much and have no experience of any other bandsaw, but it seems fine to me.

I think Startrite make good bandsaws? Although I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me otherwise in a minute! :)

p.s, get your blades from Ian @ Tuffsaws, if you don't already. They're excellent. ([email protected])

Hope that's of some help mate, Cheers _Dan.

Gaz,

I've got a startrite 352 and it truly is a beast!

Purchased because like you I wanted one that I would never have to upgrade again. Current price might exceed your budget but at shows they tend to do good deals (got mine at Yandles).

Haven't used it a massive amount since buying but to date has proved excellent.

I'm another who would point you towards tuffsaws whatever you buy for brilliant service and great blades.

I have a Basato 4 which I'm delighted with - blades supplied by Ian at Tuffsaws ... cuts accurately and effectively, powerful, and nicely made ... was disappointed by the Records build quality when I looked at the actual beasts rather than the stat's. Guides work well too - now enhanced by a Maskery-design micro-adjuster fence. Recomended!

Back