Which Adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":3rfsnv59 said:
custard":3rfsnv59 said:
The last lot of TBIII I bought when it was on offer at Ax and the biggest bottle cost me around £25 if memory serves.

A £25 bottle of glue! Rob, do you manufacture for Ikea?

Seriously, glue only has about an 18 month shelf life depending on how it's stored, a few months more if it's unopened and in cool dry conditions, a few months less once you start to use it. After that it slowly get stringy and bond strength declines. And if it's ever left out in a sub zero shed then bond strength falls off a cliff.

That's why I recommended the smallest bottle available.

custard":24mp6o9b said:
A £25 bottle of glue! Rob, do you manufacture for Ikea?

Seriously, glue only has about an 18 month shelf life depending on how it's stored, a few months more if it's unopened and in cool dry conditions, a few months less once you start to use it. After that it slowly get stringy and bond strength declines. And if it's ever left out in a sub zero shed then bond strength falls off a cliff.

That's why I recommended the smallest bottle available.
I was doing a lot of veneering at the time and used pretty much all of it :shock: but I did keep it in the house above a radiator, so it never went 'off.' Buying a small bottle obviously means that you always [-o< get fresh glue, but it's also the most expensive way to buy it - Rob

I'm not normally a Titebond for PVA man on grounds of price and my preference to buy from a UK maker,but it is certainly true that their technical support is excellent. I am currently making some chairs from steam bent laminations and have had excellent and very fast advice from Franklin in the US (Titebond makers) - I will be using TB III for this job for its residual fleibility when cured and long open time (for a PVA).

Jim

Back