where to get decent biscuits from

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcjwebb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

was wondering where people get theyre biscuits from as got a bag of size 20 from tool station, and straight away noticed that they were made of ply, also, when i put the joint together, the joint got to be pressed with a stupid amount of pressure otherwise the joint is not going flat. it almost seems that the biscuit if too big for the hole cut,

ideally something strong is key.

Regards

Marc

Both Lamello and Trend are good biscuits. We bought a box of budget ones for the Community Workshop, I forget where from, and they are OK, but only OK. They are certainly not made of plywood, though! Are you sure? I've never seen that.

The Lamello ones are textured so that they self-centre in the slot.

Axi is the obvious first port of call.

I'm definitely sure it's ply they look ok but it's a real effort with the joint to use them. Oddly enough though if I use some size 10s that I have. One they are hardwood and are of a much higher standard and the joint is able to be set perfectly flush. The prob with the tool station ones is that the outside edge is flush but the inside line isn't and is slightly open ( splayed apart ) very poor joint

Bought some no name brand biscuits from an independent diy shop once and that was the first and last time i'll do that.
Now I will only buy Trend biscuits which are always consistently good for size and quality.

Marcjwebb":3vovm8ua said:
Ok brill. Where is good to buy the trend ones from ?

I usually get mine from B&Q.
And I think I've brought them from Screwfix before too.

I once had a similar issue but it was caused by a build up of dust preventing the jointer from travelling it's full length. The result was shallower slots. Worth checking out.

I tried the Toolstation ones. I think I ended up giving most of the packet to next door, for firelighters.

They're dreadful, and they do look as if they're plywood, too.

When I bought my Makita, it came with a box of 1000 biscuits as part of the deal. They are pretty good. I also buy Trend ones.

And I like Hobnobs too...

I've only ever used Trend, 'cause that's all they had in Wickes when I first got a biscuit jointer and I still haven't got through the whole bag. But they seem fine to me, so I guess that's another +1?

A bit off-topic, but thought I ought to mention:

One reason that I gave up on the Toolstation ones was that they behaved like those silicone car sponges that you buy in shrink-wrapped cellophane: rock solid and dense to start with, then they expand to about three times the volume when water hits them.

I couldn't stop the biscuits apparently exploding in the packet, and quite a few were useless: when I needed them they were thicker than 4mm, although whether they were like that when I bought them I can't say.

I'm now very careful to keep the stock bone dry. There's a storage compartment in the Makita's plastic case for biscuits, but I only keep an "emergency" stock in there: a few of each size in a plastic bag.

I've split the main stock into smaller bags and sealed them, so when I need more, I'm not letting moisture get at all of them every time. The box lives in our airing cupboard, and stays really dry, even in autumn.

A big difference with both Trend and Makita ones, compared to Toolstation, is that the better ones seem to do what you want - they swell up when surrounded by PVA glue, but don't seem as sensitive to atmospheric moisture.

I am taking more care with them generally though, and the difference between a router "biscuit" cutter and a decent biscuit jointer is enormous. I now get accurate 4mm slots and a snug dry fit before I start the glue-up, which I never could before, even using the router table.

Back