Where to buy Robert Sorby turning tools online good value

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Its my birthday shortly and I want to email family who always ask me what I need for pressie's an online link for various Sorby chisels. Trouble is, I just checked Amazon and they are selling the 10mm beading and parting tool for £161 (I kid you not).

So my list will need to take them somewhere other than Amazon. Toolpost I've already had a canter through and they're still a bit pricey. So to save me spending the evening surfing online Sorby dealers does anyone know of a reputable and reasonably priced one that I can link to in an e mail that will allow family to purchase and have shipped to me please? I'm thinking of a Chronos type site that's known good value.

Many thanks

when i was looking for a bedan, i found this site http://www.ktmp.co.uk/Robert%20Sorby.htm which seems to be very good value, subject to ordering £100's worth.

the usual caveats apply- i have not used them, and have no knowledge if they are good, bad or otherwise. interesting business though if you read about it.

Ockendon timber were cheapest I could find for my pro edge - not sure how their other sorby stuff compares?

Random Orbital Bob":2faspq9j said:
Hi Folks

Its my birthday shortly and I want to email family who always ask me what I need for pressie's an online link for various Sorby chisels. Trouble is, I just checked Amazon and they are selling the 10mm beading and parting tool for £161 (I kid you not).

So my list will need to take them somewhere other than Amazon. Toolpost I've already had a canter through and they're still a bit pricey. So to save me spending the evening surfing online Sorby dealers does anyone know of a reputable and reasonably priced one that I can link to in an e mail that will allow family to purchase and have shipped to me please? I'm thinking of a Chronos type site that's known good value.

Many thanks

Some web sites include V. A. T. and others don't in the listed prices - so read the small print carefully!

How are you going to ensure that well meaning relations don't all buy you the same chisel?

MC

Yes, thanks for that. Toolpost for one have the annoying habit of publishing VAT free prices.

I'm going to give the list to my Missus as a clearing house for the relly's :)

On the subject of tools, has anyone used the Sorby fluted slim parting tool? It's a 2mm width but more importantly has a fluted underside so the cutting tip has two points. It claims to leave a very fine surface by sheer cutting leaving little sanding but I'd be interested in hearing from a non manufacturers marketing dept source ie real life.

I use the sorby fluted parting tool and can say it does exactly as advertised,just be careful not to get a catch, leaves 2 dings in your toolrest!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Random Orbital Bob":202vkm9t said:
On the subject of tools, has anyone used the Sorby fluted slim parting tool? It's a 2mm width but more importantly has a fluted underside so the cutting tip has two points. It claims to leave a very fine surface by sheer cutting leaving little sanding but I'd be interested in hearing from a non manufacturers marketing dept source ie real life.

I have one you can borrow and try out. It does do a good job of parting off but not as good as a skew chisel on producing a good end grain face.

I am expecting to see you later this week, to pick up a lathe for the Berkshire Woodturners newbie try out evening.

Will email details.

Bill

amullock":31os4jes said:
I use the sorby fluted parting tool and can say it does exactly as advertised,just be careful not to get a catch, leaves 2 dings in your toolrest!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have one but seldom use it because it leaves dings in the toolrest even without a catch.

Hi

I have the slim fluted parting tool and I believe posters may be confusing this with the fluted parting tool. The slim fluted parting tool:

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodturni ... rting-tool

In this tool the contact surface with the rest is not fluted, although quite small at 2mm, (the flute is along the long bevel). It does cut very well and I use it frequently, (but this is because I have it), however I can achieve the same quality of cut with a freshly sharpened 1/8" parting tool - though the waste is slightly more.

The one with the flute in contact with the rest is:

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodturni ... rting-tool

Regards Mick

The one I'm angling to buy is the slim fluted version ie the first link in your description. As you rightly point out the flute is only on the long bevel. The description given by Sorby suggests it's a recent innovation and it looks like its been deliberately designed to avoid the dinging toolrest problem discussed here by elevating the flute onto a bevel.

That's the one I'm hoping will give a better finish than my current thin parting tool which is also 2m but has no fluting. As Bill mentioned, a superior finish will always go to a skew with point down but I'm hoping this tool will allow parting off very close to a chucking point where one couldn't access with a skew and leave minimal waste.

It does sound like its the one.

Thanks for the responses folks, I do appreciate it.

Hi

I've had mine for about 15 years :)

Give it a go by all means - but don't expect too much of an improvement over a sharp and well presented 1/8" tool

Regards Mick

Ah OK Mick, thanks for that......looks like I'm a sucker for their marketing! I hadn't come across it before and coupled with the description in the catalogue, I figured it was a recent innovation. I think I might take Bill up on his borrow and try offer before buying as they're not cheap.

As Mick said really, I have one but tend to go for my crown blade style parting tool 19 times out of 20!

Give it a go by all means, perhaps a tiny bit better finish if you turn loads of pine / softwoods but I can't see the difference in any normal hardwood.

Brgds

S

Latest posts

Back