Where to buy a paring chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouppe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a paring chisel 3/4" wide or larger for a long time, and whilst my preference is always to buy used chisels in situations like this, the prices on Ebay have been reaching up to 40 pounds recently. A 1" Marples went for 35 pounds on the weekend which is typical. This is about the same price as a new chisel from a top maker, although there are very few around. I can buy a new Blue Spruce chisel for 50 pounds, a Sorby for 35 pounds etc., Narex 30 pounds.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

If the new ones are thin (like the henry taylor, if it's similar in thinness to the vintage ones), then you could go that route.

I wouldn't spend $30 on a narex parer (i had the set of the briefly) let alone 30 quid, because they are rigid and not similar to what you will grow to love in a paring chisel.

If the new ones are not as thin and well finished as the vintage, I would buy the vintage, even though prices have gone nuts of late. With the flex and level of finish/grind that was standard 100 years ago, I'd hate to give those two aspects up for 10 quid.

I haven't had favorable experience with modern sorby, and the blue spruce chisels are nice, but overall they are not made up to the standard of the vintage chisels. Parts of them are very pretty, and dave jeske is a greater woodturner (and by all accounts a nice guy), but I couldn't trade an old one for a blue spruce.

Thanks David, I'm also not too keen on the blue spruce because the blade is only 6" or so. I'll keep looking for a vintage one. eBay is such a gamble though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure there's a 'right' answer, because it depends a bit what you want a paring chisel to do.

As it happens, I have a couple of Sorby parers, which are long, very thin and slightly flexible, which allows you to control their cut a little with adjustments to finger pressure on the back near the cutting edge and at the same time slightly raising the handle. They're delicate tools for fine work. Mine had a little evidence of grinder marks on the flat face near the edge, but didn't take much sorting out; they sharpen easily and edge-taking is excellent; edge-holding is good enough for most people, though not in the 'everlasting steel' league.

I also have a couple of Henry Taylor examples, which are altogether heavier in section and pretty well inflexible. The finish when new was very good (polished), but flatness was a not quite as good as the Sorbys. Sharpening is easy, the edge is good, and edge life acceptable without being exceptional. These are the sort of parers that would be good for jobs that need a bit more force, like flattening wooden plane beds.

My favourite parer is one I inherited from my grandfather - and it wasn't new when he acquired it. It's by I Sorby, probably late 19th century, has a thin blade that tapers in thickness down from shoulder to edge, and tapers down in width very slightly from edge to shoulder. The sides (which since it's so thin, don't really amount to much!) are not quite square to the flat face, but bevel by about 5 degrees. In all, it's a most subtle piece of forging and grinding. It takes an edge like no other chisel I own. Chisels like it do come up on the dealers' websites and Ebay reasonably frequently, but not as often as paring gouges, for some reason. The one Undergroundhunter linked to above is very similar to it.

Sadly, I don't think there's any such thing as a cheap paring chisel these days. The price of some on Ebay makes my eyes water, but then a good new 1 1/2" or so is pretty steep too. I think it's a tool you really have to need to justify, these days.

A top notch new paring chisel at a very reasonable price you can get from Wilco Flier. It's not only visually hard to beat, but functionally neither. Very nice balanced and the O1 blade has just about the right balance between sturdieness and flexibility. If there's a precision job to be done, the Flier chisel is my to go one for sure.

http://wilcoflier-toolworks.blogspot.de/

This hand crafted tool sells at 55€!

Klaus

Klaus Kretschmar":22e1pab2 said:
A top notch new paring chisel at a very reasonable price you can get from Wilco Flier. It's not only visually hard to beat, but functionally neither. Very nice balanced and the O1 blade has just about the right balance between sturdieness and flexibility. If there's a precision job to be done, the Flier chisel is my to go one for sure.

Klaus

I have to agree with Klaus :)

Wilco made me a set of pairing chisels and they are superb! His tools are made with a lot of care and consideration.

Klaus Kretschmar":1tmn5sel said:

Klaus
I went over to his site to take a quick look thinking the prices would be way beyond what I'd want to pay.

But no! They are very reasonable indeed - some may even say cheap for such nice tools.

OK thanks all for the info. Plan B. I have been in contact with a blacksmith who can make me a very nice chisel to my own specs., and the price is the same as if I were to buy one. I'll make the handle myself so it will be even more personal.

Based on your experience, what would be the most useful width? I was thinking 1" to 1 1/4". And how thick should the chisel be to give it good balance and just enough flex? A 1/4" or 3/8"? And finally, what is a good blade length? A lot of the listings I see detail a total length of about 14" which suggest a blade length of 9" or so.

The blacksmith will work to my exact spec so I would like to know if I am on the right track.

I'm not sure I would take the risk of commissioning one from a blacksmith who doesn't make paring chisels on a regular basis (regular enough that he would already know what makes a good one).

1" is a nice general use paring chisel for actual paring where things are not tight. If you are working inside parts of joints or in something (like planes, maybe the only thing I am familiar with on a day to day basis), you will eventually want to add something narrow, but I'd identify the need for the additional ones before making the purchase.

RogerP":2xk2jpok said:
I went over to his site to take a quick look thinking the prices would be way beyond what I'd want to pay.

But no! They are very reasonable indeed - some may even say cheap for such nice tools.

Very true!
I've only one chisel right now, but I really love it.

mouppe":2wg3yibu said:
OK thanks all for the info. Plan B. I have been in contact with a blacksmith who can make me a very nice chisel to my own specs., and the price is the same as if I were to buy one. I'll make the handle myself so it will be even more personal.

Based on your experience, what would be the most useful width? I was thinking 1" to 1 1/4". And how thick should the chisel be to give it good balance and just enough flex? A 1/4" or 3/8"? And finally, what is a good blade length? A lot of the listings I see detail a total length of about 14" which suggest a blade length of 9" or so.

The blacksmith will work to my exact spec so I would like to know if I am on the right track.

Width depends on the job in hand (obviously) but if I were starting again I'd have a 1/4", a 5/8" and a wide one, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". They suit what I do - may not suit the next person.

On length, both the Sorbys and the Henry Taylors are just over 9 1/4" from ferrule to edge. The HT's measure 3/16" thick, the Sorby's are 3/32" at the cutting edge tapering to 1/8" at the shoulder. The old I Sorby is 1 1/2" wide and 3/32" bare at the cutting edge, 1 7/16" wide and 5/32" thick at the shoulder. The Sorbys spring nicely, the HT and I Sorby barely at all.

Edit to add - should perhaps mention that the bevels on the Sorbys are quite fine, leaving only about 1mm square 'lands'. The HTs have lands about half the blade thickness, and as previously mentioned, the old I Sorby appears square, but actually bevels about 5 degrees both sides.

God that Wilco Flier chisels are lovely. Beautiful looking pieces of art!

Nice one Klaus.

I have an old Sorby pairer that's in need of some serious TLC. It's lovely in the hand and very flexible.

I may be visiting Wilco Flier for one of his parers. Work of art!!

Jonny

phil.p":1zpvriox said:
I don't doubt the quality of these for a moment, but I don't find them particularly attractive. It might be the lack of bolster.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think the same!

To me they don't look like "proper" chisels, ie forged under a hand held hammer or a powered hammer, with a integral bolster or socket that go all the way around the chisel. And despite claims of being "hand crafted", I suspect they are made mostly with machines and power tools.

As for the price of paring chisels on Ebay, £35 -£40 is the top of the price range, at the low end it's about £10.

As a paring chisel, I think they look very nice. Very sleek and elegant

If you go on his website, it shows you a work in progress. He orders the tool steel in lengths, cuts it down, shapes it and then sends it off to be hardened. How he shapes it, he does not say.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about hand made tools, and I'm pretty sure the definition of hand made is something we could 'discuss' for months - for example, is a massive machine pounding your steel flat, hand made? Or is pounding the steel with a lump hammer hand made?

The chisels Klaus linked to, seem relatively hand made to me, but you guys probably know more about the physics of the thing than me. But aesthetics is a personal thing. I wonder how the tool feels and cuts? That's the most important thing after all.

Jonny

First of all, I've no duty to write something about Wilco's tools. All the tools I've purchased or ordered are agreed at the regular price. In the opposite, when I ordered a chisel with a customized blade, I felt his price too low (very close to his standard sized chisel) so I offered him to be glad with a higher price. I do not know Wilco in person nor his shop. All I can judge is the information on his site.

If you scroll down his site, you'll see that he purchases the steel as raw mateial. The shaping he obviously does by himself. His site tells further that he purchased in July 2014 a water cooled surface grinder. He probably wouldn't have bought it, if it wouldn't be used by him to shape the blades. If you call that machine work, ok. Is there any high end chisel maker out there who does it in a different way? I doubt.

The handles and the ferrules are shaped on the lathe. Pretty clear. Does that make you doubt, that his tools are hand crafted?

One last word to the ergonomics and functional design. It's a solely hand driven paring chisel so I can't see a real need for a bolster to secure the blade. The handle heel has the diameter of 35 mm.

P1040606.jpg

It fills the palm quite nice. The ferrule allows the indexfinger to rest rather comfortable.

P1040607.jpg

To me it's a thoughtful design.

Klaus

Back