Where can I purchase styrofoam for form making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now i am sure i can get you lots of off cuts for the price of postage, but i think it might be a tad expensive, so i will find out tomorrow where the guys next door get it from.

mark270981":2c3a0smf said:
Now i am sure i can get you lots of off cuts for the price of postage, but i think it might be a tad expensive, so i will find out tomorrow where the guys next door get it from.
Thanks. I have just discovered the following from the data sheet of the B&Q stuff.

Compressive strength = 200 KPa

I have no idea what that means

nor me mate - the foam these guys use has to be cut on a panel saw of the cnc and its a real struggle to snap it.

I think the stuff I used was like the B&Q Knauf link above. It was pink rather than orange, but otherwise it looks like the same stuff.
You've not got a lot to lose by trying it, have you?
S

Steve Maskery":2jvmgzla said:
I think the stuff I used was like the B&Q Knauf link above. It was pink rather than orange, but otherwise it looks like the same stuff.
You've not got a lot to lose by trying it, have you?
S
Agreed. Which is why I am on my way to B&Q this evening to pick a pack up. Thanks

flanajb":1xlt7yv5 said:
Which is why I am on my way to B&Q this evening to pick a pack up. Thanks

If you could let us know what the Knauf board is like I would be very grateful. By coincidence I have been looking at styrofoam this week myself for use as a material for prototyping the shapes of new instrument designs; I wonder if this B&Q stuff would be suitable for carving...?

I studied Industrial Design in college and for model making we used to use slabs of foam that I only ever heard called 'blue foam'. Pretty dense and great for model making and finishes well too, we used to cut it on the band saw, hot wire, etc etc.

blue_foam_detail_lowres.jpg

tippi5.jpg

(couple of pics nicked off the web)

Perhaps if theres a college or university near you that has a design department, model shop etc they might be able to give you details of a supplier or order some in for you.

I will post my findings of how I get on later. I am hoping the B&Q foam is the same as the dense blue foam, but I don't think it is quite the same. You do have to push very hard to put a finger dent into it though, so fingers crossed.

There are two type of Styrofoam - extruded and expanded. The everyday stuff thats made up of white beads is expanded poly-styrene (EPS). Typically the blue foam, especially if it is from Dow, is extruded poly-styrene (XPS). At this point, make sure that you are not dealing with insulation boards made from Polyurethane. These are typically the light brown foam - kingspan etc. I think you should avoid these, especially as they have a paper or plastic layer on the outside which makes glueing/milling next to impossible.

The best option is the XPS. Of course it is most likely also the most expensive. Boards of this stuff can be glued together and very easily milled. It performs very well in a bandsaw and with a router and is the most likely to be CNC'd. The EPS does not perform well when being machined. I don't know what glue to use to bond sheets of either EPS or XPS together.

200KPA is equal to 200KN/m2. Oh really you say! Well this works out at about 20 tonne per m2. Thats quite a decent load and should perform well with most forms although I'm sure it would depend on your shape. XPS wins out here again at it typically has a load bearing capacity of 300KPS/300KN/m2 or 30 tonne per m2.

I hope this is a help. I would like to hear if anyone knows what glue to use.

Regards

Eoin

Many glues dissolve polystyrene into festering goo - test on some offcuts
I've used Tretobond 375 and Evostick 584 .They are contact glue so you apply to both parts ,allow solvent to evaporate and then bring together
A grabby PVA or Animal (hide) glue might work where you need a chance to reposition the pieces
Matt

Ok. So here is my update that a few of you asked for regarding the insulation foam available from B&Q for ~ £5 for a 600 * 1200 * 52mm

I have posted a few pictures.

I cut the boards in half and ripped then down on the saw so they were 450 * 600mm. After I cut them on the table saw I marked the outline of the curve using the template. I did not try routing the foam as I was going to finish the shaping via another method.

IMG_20110709_181913.jpg

After rough cutting the corners with a jigsaw, I sandwhiched all of the pieces together between 2 of the original 18mm mdf ribs that did not get damaged when the mdf former collapsed.

IMG_20110710_095317.jpg

Having sandwhiched them together I then used my orbital sander and a long piece of 2"*2" timber with a piece of 60 grit sand paper stuck to the underside. This was then used to final shape the form.

IMG_20110710_150402.jpg

I made a slight mistake on one of the rounded ends, but it was a simple case of sanding flat and bonding a couple of piece in. I glued all of the pieces using polyurethane glue, which worked a treat.

IMG_20110710_181028.jpg

The next picture, shows the finished form, which I covered in masking tape so as to protect it should any glue leak onto it.

IMG_20110710_200432.jpg

I then stuck it all in the vac bag for a dry test. It worked a treat and the foam did not collapse in the slightest.

Back