where can I get these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
They are quick release jobbies for the Burgess BK3 bandsaw side panel. No doubt others use them but I have no idea what they might be called.

Attachments

• IMG_20160521_114132828.jpg
    IMG_20160521_114132828.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,045
''Quarter Turn Cover Plate Fastener"

Mine also has one of those. :-D

As I won't be changing the blade, I used nut/bolt/washers for the other two fixing points.

... and the one that is present is so tight, it's no wonder they get ripped up or lost.

I will most likely end up epoxying a bolt & washer in the body of the saw and fastening with a wingnut.

If you want my gnarled one, gimme a shout. :-D

Dzus! That's the word I was trying to remember, although these aren't Dzus fasteners.

Thanks for the manual Brian.

Thanks for the offer of your last one, Naz, but I already have 3 gnarled ones. LOL. If I can't find any new 'uns, I'll probably do the same as yourself and use bolts and wingnuts. I like to clean the saw out when I have finished using it, and the plastic fasteners make it fairly quick. Not that I use it very often.

Update: I opened out the holes in the bandsaw body to 10mm and epoxied a short 10mm bolt & washer into the body.

The cover fastens perfectly with a washer & wingnut now.

You say you don't use your bandsaw very often, this method takes less than 5 seconds per bolt to open or close.

So a total of 30 wasted seconds now and then isn't a massive price to pay. :-D

( I got some 5 minute Chinglish epoxy from Fleabay - It says 'non-sniffable' on the packet ... Nearly blew my friggin' head off with the fumes).

Non-sniffable? Reminds me of the old "My dog's got no nose" joke. :mrgreen:

I'll probably do the same as yourself, Naz, when the plastic bits annoy me so much that they get thrown over the garage roof. I've got some old, probably 5/16" Whitworth, hook bolts with wing nuts that'll do, and a box of hot glue sticks that'll do instead of epoxy.

It's true I don't use the bandsaw very often, but just occasionally it comes in very handy. Today I used it to cut up 24 oak banister posts to take to the tip. I felt guilty while I was doing it because I know such as Brian could use this sort of thing for his intarsia, but they were no good to me.

Mine is now a deceased bandsaw. The bearing in the drive wheel was badly worn and the noise was getting unbearable, so I decided to make another bearing. The plastic wheel broke as I was getting the old bearings out, so, as it also has a twisted frame, I've decided to bin it. Going to use the motor to make a soil sifter for the wife's vegetable patch. Maybe. Anyone got a cheap and cheerful bandsaw for sale? :)

I probably don't even need a bandsaw, Brian, except that there's a couple of hundred feet of floorboard in the shed that I can probably make use of. I was cutting some of it into 8'x1.25" strips to make frames, covered in mesh, to protect Fran's veg from the pigeons, when I decided to mend the saw beyond repair. I finished off with the circular saw but I hate the mess that thing makes, even with a vac connected, and I don't do enough woodwork to warrant more sophisticated dust collection. I really bought the circular saw for cutting metal, which is does brilliantly. Anyway, I have done lots of searching on various sites and found nothing local so I might bite the bullet and buy a cheap saw from Machine Mart or somewhere similar.

I have an aversion to TV (I think I am scared of Cameron or Farage popping up and making me ill :) so I haven't watched the TT, though I did see Dunlop's record lap on Youtube this morning. Shame about the deaths, but they all know what could be waiting around the next corner. Guy Martin said something along the lines of, "If it's too dangerous for you, stay at home and do the gardening." Which it seems he has done this year. :)

Latest posts

Back