Wheel chair ramp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recky33

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a wheel chair ramp for a 4" curb, I was thinking of just getting some 4x4 tanalised and cutting it @ 45 on the band saw, is there a better way ?

Hmm... seems the recommended slope is 1:6 min so that's 2 foot long, Oh well back to the sketch pad

Piece of 3" fence post. Offcut of 18mm ply 32" min width 4x2 edging to stop the wheel chair falling off.

Used to have a 12ft long one going up 3 steps for my neice.

Is it a powered wheelchair ? I suppose the issue is the potential for a backward flip but then don't they have extra wheels at the rear to stop that happening and if so could get up a steeper ramp.

If this is a council curb they have an obligation under Part M Regulations to provide wheelchair access where required.

Is it a powered wheelchair ? I suppose the issue is the potential for a backward flip but then don't they have extra wheels at the rear to stop that happening and if so could get up a steeper ramp.
If it's a powered one the issue of a backward flip is really small (mine's a quarter of a tonne with me in it, most of the weight being low down) - they're far more likely in a manual chair, which can have detachable rear wheels. Damhikt. The issue is more whether they bottom out if the angle changes too quickly.

Thanks for all the reply's, The thing is my misses runs a small private hospital so I get roped into a lot of things, having talked to her about it a bit more she has decided to talk with "the management" about the dropped curb idea, seems a lot safer than anything I can provide

Back