Whats your favourite penknife or multi tool .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have (old) Victorinox kitchen knives that are fine, but I've yet to find one of their pocket knives that took a good edge.
Opinel? I believe they're called Opinel because you haven't an opinel of keeping them sharp.

I can't speak for the modern knives but both my Opinels are more than 30 odd years old and take a fine edge, if not mistreated they hold it reasonably well, mine have been stuck in the ground and reground a few times but still in good order.
There are without doubt better and more technical knives out there, and more expensive, but I am a creature of habit and Opinels will always have a place in my life. My father in law has his to hand at the dining table at all times.
I don't carry a knife habitually anymore but keep one (a legal carry) in the car boot along with a bunch of other everyday necessities.
Like one of the earlier posters my early life involved a 6-7" sheath knife with a horn handle that had belonged to my dad, but that was decommissioned long ago.
My favourite knife ever was a Sears & Roebuck fishing knife, folding, twin bladed and a functional thing of beauty, but that is long gone, I suspect someone else liked it just as much, but maybe I just left it behind at a campsite....

When my nephews turned 16 I got them each a Victorinox mini champ. From what I can gather they're still loved. The lads are in their 20's now.

We threw them at, or just inside, each others feet... It was a game, I forget the name... (thank goodness for boots)
I remember the game, tended to keep away from it. Something like this?
BCA4E4FA-FAE5-4192-9B93-AF4570F3854D.jpeg

apparently it is called “split the kipper”. Heavy sharp knife, spinning, what could possibly go wrong.

I remember the game, tended to keep away from it. Something like this?
View attachment 125142
apparently it is called “split the kipper”. Heavy sharp knife, spinning, what could possibly go wrong.
That's the one, though I'm not sure the name's the same (it'll come back to me...)

I remember using my old scouts sheath knife to cut some cable to extend my 'record player's lead, I ended up with a 3mm notch in the blade accompanied with a flash & bang - maybe I should of unplugged it!! DUH :unsure: :dunno::unsure:

We threw them at, or just inside, each others feet... It was a game, I forget the name... (thank goodness for boots)
Splits

We used to throw the knife between the opponents legs and they had to move their foot to touch the knife. It was then their go. You lost in two ways. Either not throwing the knife between the other persons legs or by moving when you were the target. The winning strategy was generally to throw the knife as close as possible to the other persons foot.

Back