Whats your favourite penknife or multi tool .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have quite a large collection of knives, including Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools but my everyday carry, it lives in my pocket all day, every day, is a Boker Plus Techtool 2

Keeps a good edge and legal carry in the UK as it has a non-locking blade.
I know you CAN carry a locking blade but if stopped the onus is on you to show you have a legitimate reason to carry it. With a non-locking blade you have the right to have one and they have to prove that it is an offensive weapon, which includes the context in which you carry it. So I don't take it down the pub but it goes pretty much everywhere else with me. I'd much prefer a safer, locking blade, but it just isn't worth the hassel arguing over the idiotic knife carry laws in this country.

PC240034.JPG

Jef

Tidioute wall street knife (They're not available at this point). A wharncliffe lockback folder with a 1095 blade as hard as a chisel. That was my favorite before finishing edges with a buffer, now just about any small lockback in any blade pattern is good. As long as it isn't some overly fat spined knife.

The one I have had the longest is a Puma Prospector 667 which i bought on my first trip to the IoM TT in 1977. It was in my pocket every day from then until I got the PITS in 2013. I replaced it as it was showing signs of significant wear and after so long I wanted to keep it for "special occasions"
View attachment 124948

When I was 17 (1971) I bought a Puma 970 Game Warden lock blade. Carried it on me everywhere until about 20 years ago when I got a Gerber that unlocked from closed or open by pushing a button, not free enough to flip it open. Then I ended up with the original Leatherman that I carried for quite a long time. At the moment I don't carry any but still have all three and a few others. The Puma is still my favourite.

Pete

I've another knife thats a bit of a favourite. Made by James Rodgers & Sons,Sheffield.
It's near identical to this version but with a dark rosewood handle, and the top of the handle curves slightly
I swapped it for some old tools in a better quality 2nd hand shop. Soon as I saw it i knew it was a
bit of quality.
I think the company stems from about 1730.

Joseph Rodgers.jpg

Last edited:
When I was 17 (1971) I bought a Puma 970 Game Warden lock blade. Carried it on me everywhere until about 20 years ago when I got a Gerber that unlocked from closed or open by pushing a button, not free enough to flip it open. Then I ended up with the original Leatherman that I carried for quite a long time. At the moment I don't carry any but still have all three and a few others. The Puma is still my favourite.

Pete
Pumas seem to take and hold an edge very well. Mine has nickel silver bolsters and rosewood scales.

I still have a swiss army knife that was given to me as a kid, don't use it though.

I have carried a pocket knife pretty much every day since junior school, no one batted an eyelid it was normal to carry a knife for sharpening pencils, whittling etc etc My now knife is a Wenger mini champ with large & small screwdrivers, file, tweezers etc etc. I also have and use regularly a Leatherman Wave when working around home or just out in the countryside. Feel undressed without a pocket knife, a bit like a watch !

I have bought a number of multitools over the years. Foolishly bought too cheap and then found the quality was not up to much. But the number of times I need a multi-tool is very limited:
  • if going out where I know or expect I may have a job to do (eg: daughter) I simply put a toolbox with all basic kit (screwdrivers, hammer, square, adjustable wrenches etc) in the car anyway
  • rarely do I need any other tools. Car - get in, turn key, go, seems to work consistently anyway. In emergency, a basic multi-tool, despite its failings, can usually be made to work.
I look at beautifully engineered pieces of kit, emotionally salivate, but know there is absolutely no point in getting out wallet. I have no plans to test my resolve and ingenuity several hundred miles from the nearest Screwfix (or similar) in the wilds of Africa or Alaska. Perhaps friend or family will leave one under the tree tomorrow!

Had one of these Bessey knives in my pocket for the last few years, really like it Bessey DBKWH Folding Utility Knife with 28mm Blade & Wooden Handle

Ive got a few of the stanley version, the cheapest ones are about 8 quid in screwfix! Very good for pocket use

I suggest you don't google "Strapon". :LOL:

😆 fast typing + predictive text!

I have an opinel i was given, and a cheap folding knife with lots of holes in it, but a stanley knife is for me, far more practical.... you can just swap the bkade round/ put in a new one and its back to sharp....

This one is my carry everywhere knife (y)it is donkey's years old and it used to belong to my Dad who also used it almost daily from new. The blade is worn down by around around a third but still has a razor sharp edge, opens and closes like new, maybe because it was my Dad's is why I don't feel dressed properly unless it is in my pocket :)

Looks very similar to a knife I used to use daily (<=18 hrs a day) gutting fish, net mending.
Could be razor sharp when looked after, yet cheap as chips. Very useful.
No idea what make. Bought Hull / Gy docks.

I've got a Bowie knife with a 10" blade! (NOT used! but on display) Could be used as an axe & probably do as much damage with the flat of the blade as the edge!
Going back 6 or 7 decades when I was a boy scout, we all had a sheath knife on our belts. Never ever saw anyone 'misuse' one.

Spyderco UKPK for the last 3 yrs. It's light as a feather, holds a good edge, but might not be too robust, I had to send it back for replacement earlier this year.

Latest posts

Back