Whats this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all is this wood any good. :?:
I was given it today and while cutting up noticed the colouration in the centre.Looks good,but.....
Can anyone identify this timber.
I think it might be Cherry :roll:
Cheers.
Paul.J.

The Bark looks wrong for Cherry which has a peeling bark, looks more like Beech to me.

Thanks Chas,but the main trunk is only about 9" dia.The barkk as small flecks on all the way round.It does also seem to ba an old tree. :?:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

I think the wood you have looks very much like plum. Damson, Cherry plum, and the flowering plums have a fantastic streaked purple and red heart, although most of them seem to rot up the centre as they get older. If it is plum take care with the sap wood it warps all over the place as it dries. That's my guess!!

Hi Paul,

Nice Haul. It certainly looks turnable. I also agree with TEP that it is a fruitwood maybe plum (or apple, or Pear?). The bark doesn't look peely enough for the common Cherry and it doesn't look like Yew Bark.

Are you planning to half the logs and seal them to stop them splitting? As TEP said fruitwood is notorious for warping and splitting. If you do halve some it might make it easier to ID the wood.
Cheers
David

Footnote: If it turns out to be Plum - you might get nice patterns like this...
crw_15105_std.jpg

Paul.J":3u4k7tro said:
First of all is this wood any good. :?:
I was given it today and while cutting up noticed the colouration in the centre.Looks good,but.....
Can anyone identify this timber.
I think it might be Cherry :roll:
Cheers.
Paul.J.

NO Mate it looks a bit rough to me , is it dogwood " rough rough "

sorry

ill get me coat :wink:

still makes me laugh , as they say the old ones are the best :p :p

Blister wrote
NO Mate it looks a bit rough to me , is it dogwood " rough rough "

How can you tell that Blister,by it's bark.

I'll get my coat as well :lol:

Paul.J.

DavidE wrote
Are you planning to half the logs and seal them to stop them splitting?
Yes David i will split and seal them,just wanted to make sure first if it was worth keeping.Just wasn't sure if it was rot in the middle :?: :?:
I will post another piccy when i split them,if i split them.
Paul.J.

I cut down a plum tree a while back and it looked very similar especially with all that rot in the centre.

Paul, even if the core is on the soft side, with a little CA glue to harden it you may be able to get useful pieces.

DSC01965.JPG

WYBI wrote
it looks like purple leaf plum to me, gis a bit!
Your more than welcome to some.Have a look at this first though.

Click on images.

Started splitting the logs today and found this growing in the middle.It's like a root covered in a fibrous growth.This rotted away the heart of the trunk leaving a void.
The wood itself was showing bright purple and pink colours,which faded after a while.Looked lovely.Any more ideas as to what it is,both wood and growth.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

Been following the saga of 'The Wood'. It is definitely a Plum, I have a Cherry Plum in my garden and trimmed some branches a couple of weeks ago. (Not big enough for the lathe, pity.) The white flecks in the photo are were the rot is starting to set in. The void you mention is definitely a aged Plum. As far as your growth inside, a 'Triffid' ? Maybe!

Tam.That's triffid. :)
I will now take it as a plum and leave it at that.
Just hope i can get some decent turnings out of it :roll:
Thanks for your help everyone.
Paul.J.

I've got a pile of Hawthorn that looks just like that......if you search on Hawthorn you'll find one or two piccies.

Chris

Back