Whats this then? Mystery tool post! Wooo!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I tend to prowl round ebay occasionally these days. At night though, let's get in the mood, let's make the effort... Headlights dipped, collar raised, snow gluing up the windscreen as I sit waiting, sticking to the shadows like a hardened criminal sticking to his alibi. I'm like a film noir detective. Gritty voiced, hard drinking and bereft of the last vestiges of hope and happiness I trawl the underworld of miss-spelled tool posts and grainy out of focus photos for the vulnerable and the innocent. I have become one with the darkness..... I look back on my first days of buying tools, my foolishness, my hope, my misplaced trust as heady but futile days. I inwardly grimace. No longer am I the blunderbuss. I have become the cold knife in a shadowed city alley on a winter night. I have become the buyer who leaves no trace except occasionally, when the mood takes me I leave a calling card.....

Strictly speaking none of that is true as such.

But, it is true in essence.
I got a few Starret and M&W metal work/measuring bits for (relative) pennies the other day. From 2 small surface scribers a large and small starret combination square down to a thread matching tool. Proper touch. Bosh. But due to a series of weird coincidences the postage did not get combined. Got in touch with the seller who turned out to be a Very Nice Chap. Whaadaya say he says? Rather than repay the postage I send you the stuff you didn't bid on?
Don't know who's tools he was selling but he evidently wanted rid in one lot.
Hmmm. Thing was, I couldn't remember all his original listings.

Bit of a gamble.... Life is short though.
Okiedoke. Let's go for it! :D

Few days later I spent a lovely hour unwrapping lots of well packaged bits and pieces. Some needed, some not so much but those will all go back on the bay so no great loss.
Well among the stuff that turned up was this.

BYCLeJj.jpg

It's a gauge of some sort of course but why the letters? Why not numerical marking? :|

Anyone got a clue to it's original purpose?

Cheers as always
Chris

my first thought was a ring gauge, but had a google and although some similar not exactly the same,

Almost certainly for letter drills. I've got complete sets of letter and number metalworking bits, which used to be useful because they were often very close to metric sizes before I got a complete set of those/.

Many thanks chaps. I had it at a drill gauge but I have never heard of letters corresponding to drill sizes. Something new learned once again! Cheers as always, you are a boon to a newbie like me no doubt. Best regards,
Chris

Get a metric version of "Zeus Precision" data charts.
Gives all the drill sizings you'll ever need, and much more.

Bod
ISBN 5017718991105

Back