Whats in the box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Chums, following on from one of jimi43's bootsale threads I thought I would show my latest rust off :)
Toolchest.jpg

This pic was from the ad which was suitably vague and priced as up for offers. So in the interest of common decency I offered a lowly £20 which was unexpectedly accepted :mrgreen: Jim expressed an interest in the little brass back job in the lid so here it is.
Made by Sarginson Brothers 105 Dale St, Liverpool
Sarginson1.jpg
It has a folded brass back and the blade measures 8" with a depth to the back just shy of 2". 16tpi very fine.
Sarginson2.jpg

Attachments

• Toolchest.jpg
    Toolchest.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 890
  • Sarginson1.jpg
    Sarginson1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 878
  • Sarginson2.jpg
    Sarginson2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 878
Thanks Tom...rather nice that backsaw...the steel appears a tad pitted...but that may just be the photo so a quick cleanup might show how it is. The key bit is whether the edge is very pitted and rusty...if it is then the teeth may need grinding back to good steel and recutting...if not...a quick sharpen may do the job. Either way it's very pretty!

What else did you get in the box?

Jim

It will be lightly restored in the fullness of time Jim. As to what else I got the answer is much sir :mrgreen: now slightly outside the box was this swiveling machine vice
Copy of Machine vise (Large).jpg

It has the degrees markings around the base (not sure how clear the piccy is) but in the box were..a few more saws :wink:
DSCF5577 (Large).JPG
DSCF5576 (Large).JPG
DSCF5574 (Large).JPG
In varying degrees of disarray :D
Of course then there is more (hammer)
Chest.JPG
Yes Jim your eagle eyes do see a small Preston shave. Bye for now

Attachments

• Copy of Machine vise (Large).jpg
    Copy of Machine vise (Large).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 714
  • DSCF5577 (Large).JPG