what's a 'Merican galoot to do in London?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchin

Reaction score
Someone on woodnet posted a question asking what good stuff is there to see and do woodworking wise in London. I see they have not posted the question, so I thought I would do so for them since I will be there next week also. My sister lives in Kingston upon Thames, so hopefully someone can recommend a fun activity close by. Possible fun activities could include:
any woodworking shows in town the weekend of May 20 or 21?
where to find that $10 Norris infill?
anyone willing to give me a shop tour so I can see how the other side does it?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Welcome to the forum. Martin. Woodnet's already had my poor pearl of info, but I hope someone here will have some ideas. Chaps?

Cheers, Alf

I used to live in KIngston on Thames, nice place (in parts) but not much there thats wood related apart from the fallen trees in Richmond park.

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll just have to spend time with the family instead of rust hunting. I have already been chastized by the wife for looking to do some woodworking related stuff.

Nice forum you guys have here. I was checking out the LV BUS review and those pics of the shavings are amazing. It has me rethinking about my Japanese planes. I thought those were all that, but the LV BUS review has given me food for thought.

Martin

There is a tool shop in the middle of Kingston town centre though as I recall they seem to carry mostly diy and building trade tools. You could go and look at some of the wacky furniture in Heals and the Chair Shop (it might just be called "Chair" I forget) which are also in the town centre. In terms of other things to see in Kingston theres the Kings Stone which is apparently where many Kings of ENgland were crowned and also the old Boots building which these days houses a Next I think, in the market place which is a tudor framed building - just over the road from there is Borders which will keep you in wood related reading matter. From memory they stock all the magazines English and American. If I think of anything else Ill post here. Ah yes the staircase in Borders is a large old wooden thing :) lovingly restored - thats worth a look at - seriously.

Back