what would you do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Using the wifes laptop for the first time in 6 months I went the norton security and requested updates ( or in fact instructed to get updates).The files list came to over 27000kbs. which I estimate would take me over the two hour download cut off time on my landline internet connection.

Dont I get proptection against viruses from my url. (tesco.net)?

An alternative is to ditch Norton (it's really an awful bit of software) and try one the better free solutions such as: AVG, ZoneAlarm (for firewall) or Avast.

I would ditch norton and put Avast and zone alarm on. Download the set up files an a broad band connection transfer them to the lap top. when installed the updates should be smaller.

Beware uninstalling norton is not easy. I have just put a laptop back to original setup for my sister using the set up CD the updates with a 8meg broadband connection were quick but if your on dial up don't go there.

Hmm comes up a lot this sort of prob.
If you put any value on your time, say just £5 per hour, then the argument for dumping your PC and buying a Mac instead, becomes overwhelming.

cheers
Jacob

ByronBlack":2kzxq9ah said:
An alternative is to ditch Norton (it's really an awful bit of software) and try one the better free solutions such as: AVG, ZoneAlarm (for firewall) or Avast.
I fully agree with what Byron says - but and a BIG BUT! IF you do decide to change, get someone who knows what they're doing to remove Norton. It can go smoothly sometimes, and on the other hand it can be a nightmare to remove completely - especially on a Laptop!

Aye, sometimes it's best to backup your software, re-install winblows and then put on zone alarm avg/avast.

But I think Jacob's solution is without doubt the best one. Mac users never look back!

Woody Alan":1tx1nfsa said:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Nortons own uninstall tool to make sure it comes out cleanly

I have never been able to get it uninstalled without seriously effecting the PC even using Nortons tools it just dont want to come out.

I have never been able to get it uninstalled without seriously effecting the PC even using Nortons tools it just dont want to come out.
Russell not having an unfair go at you :) just hijacking your response. What can I say, I am neither a microsoft or Norton fan but the pro Mac brigade who bandy about the virus this, that, etc to be honest I don't know where it all comes from, in 15 years of computing I have had one virus and that was down to stupidity on my part with a P2P client. I have had Norton stuff and found it slowed down my PC and managed to uninstall it with the tools and run zonealarm and avast or avg depending on which PC on the LAN. I just don't see the be all and end all answer being a mac. I run 4 PC's on my LAN with 2 teenage daughters no special provision other than the free Norton with my provider and have no trouble with them. I run avast on my PC and because I have a router that has NAT(network address translation) I don't even bother to run a firewall and have had no trouble in years. I do however back up my PC regularly. The main problem from what I can tell is people opening dodgy e-mails or having mail set to preview in HTML and not plain text.
That's my bit said into the great melting pot.

Alan

hi DW
thought that i read a post somewhere , that you were only allowed to use the wifes laptop on the provisso that you didnt touch anything ???

leave it alone and do as your told :oops:

ByronBlack":kav2b75d said:

MCAFee

its blinding 8)

norton is rubbish had no end of problems with it

Was more than happy to bin it!!

:p :p

I've never had any anti-virus software installed on any of my home PCs and have never suffered ill consequences as a result. In contrast I have heard many people complaining of problems installing Norton Anti Virus or keeping it up to date.

innesm":2jqw30if said:
I've never had any anti-virus software installed on any of my home PCs and have never suffered ill consequences as a result. In contrast I have heard many people complaining of problems installing Norton Anti Virus or keeping it up to date.

Consider yourself lucky, and I would certainly recommend to ANYONE with a microsoft operating system to cover themselves with one of the recommended programs and note Norton.

By having no protection you are leaving yourself exposed to all number of virii and worms. This is not recommended!

ByronBlack":2wbq108b said:
innesm":2wbq108b said:
I've never had any anti-virus software installed on any of my home PCs
By having no protection you are leaving yourself exposed to all number of virii and worms. This is not recommended!

12 or so years and counting :)

While I think Mac users tend to overstate the terribleness of Windows security, I think virus scanners are probably worthwhile for people who aren't computer literate - and are thus likely to perform the actions that install viruses on their computers. While I've never had problems, I know my parents' computer ended up slightly infested with internet explorer toolbars as the result of indiscriminate software installation by my little brother. Mind you this problem is more one of installing malware - keeping Windows Defender updated would help this more than a CPU soaker-upper - sorry, 'virus scanner.

innesm":rqpisw5n said:
ByronBlack":rqpisw5n said:
innesm":rqpisw5n said:
I've never had any anti-virus software installed on any of my home PCs

12 or so years and counting :)

While I think Mac users tend to overstate the terribleness of Windows security, I think virus scanners are probably worthwhile for people who aren't computer literate - and are thus likely to perform the actions that install viruses on their computers. While I've never had problems, I know my parents' computer ended up slightly infested with internet explorer toolbars as the result of indiscriminate software installation by my little brother. Mind you this problem is more one of installing malware - keeping Windows Defender updated would help this more than a CPU soaker-upper - sorry, 'virus scanner.
Security issue or not; what we mac users do notice is the oft repeated moaning by PC users about the hours spent doing one thing or another to get things working.
Not that macs are perfect - I just had to do a disc repair from the startup disc utilitiies which took about 20 minutes - the machine that is, not me, I went off to do something else. OSX is much better than OS9 in this respect. Used to run Norton quite often on OS9, but even then not a major problem.
Yes and have had PCs (hated them - horrid troublesome things :roll: )

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":217d7y5p said:
innesm":217d7y5p said:
While I think Mac users tend to overstate the terribleness of Windows security
Security issue or not; what we mac users do notice is the oft repeated moaning by PC users

Note to self: Just ignore Mac prosletysing. A response that might be construed as critical of Mac users or Macs will tend to be escalated into a futile argument.

If only I could follow that rule. :roll: :)

Latest posts

Back