What would you do with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, autumn is here and I am now venturing in the shed of an evening/weekend and have turned a few bits and bobs and have a few commissions for pens and one of the customers gave me a piece of horn (deer I imagine) and I was wondering what you would do with it. I have zero experience of working with horn so have a multitude of questions the main couple being.....How hard is it to turn?.....how much of the outer layer can you take off before you get to the middle (I am assuming the very centre is quite soft, I may be wrong)??

Anyway it measures about 8 inches long and about an inch round at its fattest...and I shall now attempt a photo upload!!

Your advice, tips and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Horn.jpg
    Horn.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 679
Hi

If it was mine I would incorporate it in a turned piece - something like a ring / necklace / bracelet stand - the antler socketed into a dish.

Or maybe the handle for a stick.

I think turned antler is pretty boring compared to the natural thing.

Regards Mick

I turn some antler as in the photo's below. Yes it is hard and requires sharp tools. Also do it on a nice day where you can have the shed open as it stinks(like burnt hair but stronger).
Tend to leave a very flecky appearance when you have turned it you can see that in the pen.
I finished this the same as I would acrylic then a coat of Microcrystaline wax.

DSCF0009_zps30bcbb71.jpg

DSCF0003_zps78752b4c.jpg

yes i think you could make two sticks, a thumb stick and the other piece smoothed down a bit would look nice

Latest posts

Back