What wood is this ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieC54

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what wood this is ?.

I received a number of pieces of this as part of a job lot of hardwood from a well known supplier.

It is very light in weight so I suspect it could be balsa - but the colour is pinky.

The sample piece here is 110mm x 40mm x 1000mm and weighs 1.15kg.

Welcome Steve

I'm desperately trying to remember the name, as I have some ready to use as the filler in a torsion box.

<edit>It's Canary.

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Welcome Steve,
hard to say from a photo ('specially ones taken indoors with flash), but I reckon it might be Western Red Cedar.

Mark

Hi Everybody, thanks for the replies

Doesn't really have a smell.

The outstanding factor is the weight - which obviously you can't appreciate.

I have compared it to a similar sized piece of beech and it is very light in comparison :-

unknown piece - weighs 1.15kg.
beech (same size) - weighs 2.9kg

Hi Everbody,

Thanks for the inputs.

I have decided that it is probably Western Red Cedar.

Courtesy of the book 'What wood is that" which has a sample of Western red cedar which matches the colour and texture and also gives the right sort of weight for the samples that I have.

All I have to do now is to find a use for it.

Oddly enough Steve, that was the exact publication I looked it up in (only to confirm my suspicions you understand :wink:). It was when you said how light it was got me going, made some cabinet doors for a friend a while back out of some he'd had donated and couldn't believe how lightweight the end result was.

Back