What wood glue do you use? (merged)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":21l02h3f said:
One advantage/disadvantage of D4 is the grab time. It's quick - it depends what you're doing with it whether it's a plus or a minus.

D4 was the first glue I used.
I'm only six months into woodworking so didn't know about brands and so on, but it seemed to work well.
I found a bottle in my fathers tool box, haha

mr.alan.":3oxigjga said:
LFS19":3oxigjga said:
Thanks for all the replies and links and so on - I didn't really realise the scope of the market for glue and for the various applications.

I'm mainly wanting to just glue joints really and to edge glue boards.

Well Personally I would use PVA - good open time, Strong, dries clear, but best to make sure you remove any excess before it dries - oh and its and cheap! then again- Cascamite is a great option too.. :)

Does brand really matter, then? Should I just look for PVA?

Thanks

How is Resin W rated, I have used this for donkeys years inside and out and always thought it was the best you could get. Mind you I am completely out of touch, but have a tall side gate built in pine that has lasted about twenty five years now and was simply glued and screwed with resin w and treated with Cuprinol 5star clear, it's still not moved at all.

screwpainting":3qzuo7wj said:
How is Resin W rated, I have used this for donkeys years inside and out and always thought it was the best you could get. Mind you I am completely out of touch, but have a tall side gate built in pine that has lasted about twenty five years now and was simply glued and screwed with resin w and treated with Cuprinol 5star clear, it's still not moved at all.

Haven't heard of that glue, I'll check it out. Thanks

phil.p":2i0iauu3 said:
I buy 502 for £4 a litre and D4 for about £6.50 - good as Resin W, Titebond and some others are, I can't see the justification for the premium. D4 is actually waterproof, not water resistant.

Indeed.
I think I'll go for one of those two then.

Thanks for your input

I keep on reading about D4 but have never used it. Seems too good to be true if I'm honest (cheap, readily available, completely waterproof, as strong as the more expensive stuff). Are there any downsides to D4 that its users would care to share?

memzey":snsqo5cz said:
I keep on reading about D4 but have never used it. Seems too good to be true if I'm honest (cheap, readily available, completely waterproof, as strong as the more expensive stuff). Are there any downsides to D4 that its users would care to share?

If you are doing laminations you need a cross linked glue and I don't think D4 is a guarantee of this but not always easy to find info on this. Had a laminated stand put together with Resin W fall apart on me.

LFS19":20cygksa said:
phil.p":20cygksa said:
I buy 502 for £4 a litre and D4 for about £6.50 - good as Resin W, Titebond and some others are, I can't see the justification for the premium. D4 is actually waterproof, not water resistant.

Indeed.
I think I'll go for one of those two then.

Thanks for your input
I see Toolstation's price for 502 is just over £3, and D4s just over £6. :D

phil.p":3htcl69j said:
The speed of the grab can be an advantage or disadvantage according to usage. Don't get caught out on a large glue up by its drying on you.

Understood, I'll watch out for that.

Thanks

it can also be a disadvantage on a small job if you are not organised- clamps at the ready etc.

As said before, I actually have a bottle of D4 but I think somethings gone wrong with it.
The date says 2011. I don't know anything about 'best before dates' with glue, but I presume it probably doesn't last that long!
It was in my dads old tool box, and when I found it, the top had come lose; so it'll have been exposed to the air, also.

Tried to glue a miter yesterday - used a clamp for glueing meters and left it a day.
Came back and the joint broke apart very easily, so it must be past its best.

LFS19":3el66j3y said:
As said before, I actually have a bottle of D4 but I think somethings gone wrong with it.
The date says 2011. I don't know anything about 'best before dates' with glue, but I presume it probably doesn't last that long!
It was in my dads old tool box, and when I found it, the top had come lose; so it'll have been exposed to the air, also.

Tried to glue a miter yesterday - used a clamp for glueing meters and left it a day.
Came back and the joint broke apart very easily, so it must be past its best.

bin it.

bin it every spring unless you have a heated workshop. The frost will destroy it and it is so cheap that it isnt worth the risk. you also need a minimum temperature for it to work- check the instructions but it is about 15 degrees IIRC. In winter, I cannot use PVA or PU glues in my workshop because the temperature is simply not warm enough for the time that it needs clamping for. Obviously indoors, it would be. There are ways around the problem, but i try to avoid gluing during the winter if I can.

I also recommend buying smallish containers of glue so that you keep refreshing often. It would take me a long time to get through 5L, so i would only buy a litre at most at a time. a professional would obviously get through a lot more, so gauge it according to your use.

if you have a toolstation nearby, it may be a pound or two cheaper I think. Nothing wrong with the brand- that is one that I have used before

Back