What Wood For What uses Topic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok being completely new in the wood diy world

i was wondering if theirs anything like the following on the net (if not maybe a sticky should be on here)

What wood For what

for instant have a list of oak/mdf/ply/chipboard etc etc then = at end of everyone

for instant (now i dnt know but kinda like this)

chipboard = cheap floorboards, cheap shelfs, etc etc then list finishing etc

mdf= not sure lol, but i know its toxic so ,state how to seal, then what paint etc maybe gloss if used for shefs etc

then the listy should go on, state which ones are unsafe without painting to seal etc
and which are safe to leave as is
or which look better waxed etc

you might laugh, but someone like me with no clue on wood and paint etc to build with it etc

this list would be a gem

just a thought so if someone needs a job to do and is unsure on what they need
they just look at the list and get the answer

Don't want much dooya :lol: I'll give it a go though.....

For painted, freestanding furniture, we use MDF where we can get away with it (ie stuff that doesn't need massive structural strength)

For windows - Scots Pine (or possibly yellow pine, or sometimes DF) painted.....or something else(depends on the client) :D

For doors - Dougie Fir every time.

For unpainted 'decent' furniture it's a judgement call - oak, cherry, ash and a million other species.

For construction purposes we generally use CLS (Canadian lumber standard - get it from you're local builder's merchant)

For everything else there's ply. All our "furniture" in the W/S is made out of Birch faced ply.

'course we're lucky we have own mill.

There's bound to be a load of stuff I've missed out.

Chip shop":39zf06hd said:
Don't want much dooya :lol: I'll give it a go though.....

For painted, freestanding furniture, we use MDF where we can get away with it (ie stuff that doesn't need massive structural strength)

For windows - Scots Pine (or possibly yellow pine, or sometimes DF) painted.....or something else(depends on the client) :D

For doors - Dougie Fir every time.

For unpainted 'decent' furniture it's a judgement call - oak, cherry, ash and a million other species.

For construction purposes we generally use CLS (Canadian lumber standard - get it from you're local builder's merchant)

For everything else there's ply. All our "furniture" in the W/S is made out of Birch faced ply.

'course we're lucky we have own mill.

There's bound to be a load of stuff I've missed out.

thanks

what about walls (fiberboard??)

so name some things where ply is used

p.s is mdf the only type of wood with the toxic glue?

thanks though 8)

Back