what wood for kitchen cabinets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyall

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to be making some kitchen cabinets/worktop in the next few months and am undecided what material to use. My wife is keen on solid wood tops so that is a no brainer they will be something like beech or oak. My problem is she wants to paint the cabinets (probably cream or a light blue) so as much as I would love to make the cabinets from solid wood I do think what is the point of doing all that work with expensive and beautiful wood to cover it up. What material would people on here recommend for the 'show faces' for the cabinets and doors bearing in mind I still want it to be obvious the kitchen is made from real wood and not chipboard/mdf. My local timber yard sell par hard wood (not sure what type) so I thought this would be fine for the frame but what would you guys use for the sides and door fronts? The cabinets will be made in a shaker style.

What about veneered MDF for those areas you want to show the wood, and moisture resistant MDF for those which are to be painted.

That's how i'd go about it anyway.

Cheers

Karl

HI fyall

the front will have to be strictly your choice of timber used , to make the cabinets out of timber would be extremely expensive so it only leaves you , ply or mdf . If you choose mdf my only advice to you is get a dust extraction system installed before you start do not rely on face mask . The dust is terrible hc

Latest posts

Back